Which headphones sound good at low volume levels?
Oct 16, 2001 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wab

500+ Head-Fier
I noticed my Sennheiser HD495 sound a lot better at a higher volume level than I like to listen at. At low volumes it seems like it's struggling to get the sound out (don't really know how to describe this), even with an amp.
For my next upgrade I want some cans that also sound really good at lower levels. What headphones are really good at this?

FYI I'm looking at headphones in the Senn HD580/ Beyer DT770/ Philips HP890 etc etc price-range.

Oct 16, 2001 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 12
I think, I know what you're talking about Wab. I've noticed some phones, like Sennheiser HD565 for instance losing too much dynamics and punch at low levels.
So far the phones I've found that perform the best at low levels are Beyerdynamic DT831. They retain their sonic characteristics (which are quite good) down to a wispering levels. In this particular respect IMO the Beyeres outperform even Sennheiser HD 600.
Don't forget that this also depends on your amplification. I mean, some amps sound fairly smooth at low levels but then the THD increases dramatically as you turn the volume up and the sound gets more aggresive. Listening for a long time at higher volumes makes our ears used to this more edgy sound and when you turn them down (and reduce the THD) the sound may seem dull, although it is in fact more accurate.

Oct 16, 2001 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 12
My Senn 580s definitely sound better played loud to me. Though I don't think they lose dynamics when played low, they do seem to lose some punch.

Oct 16, 2001 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 12
One thing that particularly struck me about the K1000s is that I can listen at incredibly low volume levels and still hear all the details. Amazing. Best low level linearity and dynamics I've experienced.

The K501s aren't too bad in this respect either for the high end, but they lose a little in the low end at low volume levels and don't have anywhere near the dynamics at any frequency like the K1000s do.

The Grados (modified SR200s) are fair in this department.

Order of low level detail:
  1. K1000
  2. K501
  3. modified SR200[/list=1]

Oct 17, 2001 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Etys!!!!

Oct 17, 2001 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 12
That's a tough question. When listening to different headphones or different recordings, I always try to dial in a volume level that sounds realistic to me. My favourite headphone is the Beyer 770 Pro (250 Ohm) and an important reason for this is their bass response. You don't have to crank it up to hear ALL the instruments. I think I have never been tempted to listen too loud with them, because there is very nice body and impact at moderate levels. As a matter of fact, one can still hear bass-violins in an orchestra as well as all the other instruments at rather low levels.

I have never specifically compared headphones in this regard: realistic volume levels. But I'd presume one would have to crank up phones like the HD 580 and the K 501 a bit more, since they are somewhat struggling in the bass, especially the 501.

Oct 17, 2001 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

But I'd presume one would have to crank up phones like the HD 580 and the K 501 a bit more

Like everything with the 580/600, it depends on the amp. With the Max, I often listen at very low levels and still get the full wondrous effect. With an Airhead, lower levels were often lacking.

Oct 18, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 12
The HD590's, despite the shrill highs and a cold midrange, retain a lot of their sound quality at very low levels, even when driven by a lowly Total Airhead. That's probably one of their best features, actually..

Oct 18, 2001 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

utdeep said...

Etys!!!!

If you're counting canalphones, I gotta agree. The Etys are unrivaled, in my experience, in sounding good at low volumes.

Oct 18, 2001 at 8:16 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin

If you're counting canalphones, I gotta agree. The Etys are unrivaled, in my experience, in sounding good at low volumes.

They sacre me sometimes if I lower the volume just a little bit it still sounds loud enough and if I lower it again it still sounds nice and loud enough. I wonder what is loud for etys
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 9:03 AM Post #11 of 12
shame the etys are not in the HD580/DT770 price range. they're at least twice as expensive...

Oct 18, 2001 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for your suggestions all! I will try to audition most of those cans soon.
Anyone know how the Philips HP890 perform in this regard? (lini?) They look really interesting.

Braver, yeah too bad.. and also too bad they aren't available here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back