Which headphones should I get?? ( please help!!!)
Sep 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Winholtz303

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for my first pair of good headphones to enter the audiophile world lol.  I want to spend under $300 but I was thinking should I just go with the m50x for $100? or should I go straight into the $300 range?  the ones for that price im looking at it , Hifiman HE 400s,  Vmoda m-100 and Yamaha hph- mt220.  out of those which is the best?? or are there better for the $300 range?

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hello, I am looking for my first pair of good headphones to enter the audiophile world lol.  I want to spend under $300 but I was thinking should I just go with the m50x for $100? or should I go straight into the $300 range?  the ones for that price im looking at it , Hifiman HE 400s,  Vmoda m-100 and Yamaha hph- mt220.  out of those which is the best?? or are there better for the $300 range?

Best headphones for <300$ doesn't exist. It's a matter of taste... do you like a lot bass? Do you want something more balanced and calm for longer listening sessions? Do you want V shaped sound (more bass, more treble and a bit recessed mids) for that "live" effect even tho it can be fatiguing in the long run? 

Haven't heard Hifimans but to me <300$ (299$ to be exact) the best were NAD Viso HP50, very decent soundstage (sense of space) for a closed back headphone, very comfortable (tho not so good looking) and very good sound that is kind of balanced, not too much bass, not too much treble, just as it should be, but it's just my personal taste, maybe you'd find them bad... Anyways they are certainly worth checking, they have good ratings everywhere including here on head-fi.

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 3
Like Tail said. It's all a matter of preference.
But there's more factors than bass and treble.
What you are going to be using the headphones for as well as personal preference are incredibly important when choosing.
Do you want a portable type or more of an at-home?
Do you value style, portability, sound quality, comfort, or noise isolation?
Will you be using them in extreme conditions (in loud places, at work, at the gym)?
Do you prefer on-ear or over-ear?
All these factors help find your perfect pair and not everyone can point you in the right direction (Tail probably would give better advice than me).
I hope what I said makes sense and can help you to help us help you.

Hope you find your perfect headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back