Which Headphones Should I Buy?
Jun 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

Brickmaster7398

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking to purchase a new pair of headphones. I want an over-ear, closed headphone for all-around use for many different music genres. I want something that I can listen to for hours, so something fatigue free and fun, with solid punchy bass, but not too much so that it is overpowering. I also like to hear all the little details in the sound, and I want something with a fairly large soundstage. I'm looking to spend less than $300, and willing to buy a used pair. I will be powering these off my phone often. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 105
  I don't think they have the bass emphasis that the OP appears to be seeking.  Plus it has a very long cable for phone use.

How much experience do you have with the MT220? "Solid punchy bass, but not too much so that it is overpowering" is exactly how its bass is. The cable could be a problem, though...

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 105

I don't think they have the bass emphasis that the OP appears to be seeking.  Plus it has a very long cable for phone use.

How much experience do you have with the MT220? "Solid punchy bass, but not too much so that it is overpowering" is exactly how its bass is. The cable could be a problem, though...

I own them.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 105

I own them.

Then you should know that it has very juicy, punchy bass, but not so much that it sacrifices the overall clarity.

I disagree. 

While the bass is quite good, it is not that far from neutral.  Further, most folks asking advice here (and almost without exception if they don't have a long history here and a significant number of posts) seeking what they describe as "solid punchy bass" (or the like), want bass emphasized cans of some stripe.  The MT 220 aren't those cans.  Had they been, I would not have bought them and certainly would not like them as much as I do.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 105
Greetings everyone! I'm new here. I used to own a pair of Skullcandy Titans earlier and then shifted to the stellar SoundMagic E30s, and since then I've fallen in love with this sound signature. Overall my preference is clear crisp sound in all frequencies, specially the upper mids and highs and the mids, accurate bass (not booming but adequate) and a good sound stage. After using my E30s for just under 2 years now, I am planning to buy another pair of these as the right channel cable is getting a bit wrecked up. I heard of Brainwavz Delta making a lot of buzz in the news so could someone give me a comparison between the two? Also some other recommendations which are like E30 or better would be nice for Under or Just slightly over $40.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 105
  I disagree. 

While the bass is quite good, it is not that far from neutral.  Further, most folks asking advice here (and almost without exception if they don't have a long history here and a significant number of posts) seeking what they describe as "solid punchy bass" (or the like), want bass emphasized cans of some stripe.  The MT 220 aren't those cans.  Had they been, I would not have bought them and certainly would not like them as much as I do.

The MT220 has some of the punchiest bass I have ever heard. Case closed.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 105

I disagree. 

The MT220 has some of the punchiest bass I have ever heard. Case closed.

Perhaps for you.  As I have said, I disagree.

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 105
  I don't really want cans with heavy bass emphasis, but I do want slightly more than neutral bass. 

Which is why I recommended the MT220. Its bass is only slightly boosted, yet sounds much more powerful than most bass-boosted headphones, since the others just sound like dull mud and don't have the punch, impact, and clarity of the Yamaha. That cable could be tricky, though...

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 105
Hello, I'm looking to purchase a new pair of headphones. I want an over-ear, closed headphone for all-around use for many different music genres. I want something that I can listen to for hours, so something fatigue free and fun, with solid punchy bass, but not too much so that it is overpowering. I also like to hear all the little details in the sound, and I want something with a fairly large soundstage. I'm looking to spend less than $300, and willing to buy a used pair. I will be powering these off my phone often. 

Do you currently have headphones, or have you demoed any headphones recently? If so, can you tell us the make/model and how the bass worked for you, as well as anything else you like/didn't like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back