Which headphones if not Etymotic ER4P???
Sep 15, 2003 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Guest5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
Since I am not so sure about the Etymotics right now I thought that maby I could find a good set of headphones which are same/almost good sounding but for less price...

Please help me one more time, I will listen out of my SONY Discman D-E905 without an amp. Price doesn't matter, anyway they're all less than $300. I cannot find at all the CD3000 so that's why I'm looking for alternatives.

1. GRADO SR-60. about $70
2. GRADO SR-225. $213
3. SONY MDR-7505 (V6 I guess) $124
4. SONY MDR-7506 or 7509(the last one is twice as expensive)

I guess the SR-225 will give me the Most Hi-end sound of them all and it should go fine out of HP out.

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 12
ok, I've read some of the threads here and it boils down to this for me and my portable... Grado SR-60 or SONY V6.
Which one...?

And how much better/pleasant/natural are the er4p after SR-60s? I would consider the SR-225 as well if you suggest?, for their price they are extremley close to er4ps, yes or not really? The things that push me away from Etymotics are their little/not wide soundstage and price. I really like the soundstage to be pretty big.

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 12
None of the cans you've mentioned come close to the Etys.
What are you looking for sound wise? What music do you like, where do you do most of your listening? Do you have a dedicated headphone amp? Plan to get one? etc...

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Guest5
ok, I've read some of the threads here and it boils down to this for me and my portable... Grado SR-60 or SONY V6.
Which one...?

And how much better/pleasant/natural are the er4p after SR-60s? I would consider the SR-225 as well if you suggest?, for their price they are extremley close to er4ps, yes or not really? The things that push me away from Etymotics are their little/not wide soundstage and price. I really like the soundstage to be pretty big.

The ER4 is worlds apart from 60's or the 225's, but as important, the Grados are completely open cans and the ER4s completely closed. The former does not isolate you at all from your surroundings, whereas the latter puts you in your own world, completely isolated from everythings else. What are you looking for?

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 12
With the ER4s, the soundstage is totally dependent upon the recording and can be as wide as the grand canyon, or completely between your ears.

Sep 15, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 12
thanks for replyes.

I will listen to classical and pop music, I don't intend to use an amp, I will buy one latter but that's not important since the amp will not be portable, I want headphones just to use with my portable player and no amp.
Will the Etys sound Much more alive than other headphones I mentioned?
I know the soundstage depends on recordings but I've read people say The Etys sound in listener's head whilst other more big cans create a more wide and putside the head sound experience no matter on recordings.

Sep 15, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 12
For me is important the quality of the sound... After you've listened to many different class headphones(but not those insanely expensive) you found Etymotic er4p Much better? and was blown away by its sound? Was the sound such a Big improvement over the others that you thought it was worth it in the end?
anyway I have $350 ready for headphone purchase, but am confused cause my player with porta pro already sounds wonderful to me, but you should consider that I've never listened to any of Grados or Big SONYs,Porta pro are mine best I've heard(well there was senn hd580, but they're not portable and didn't sound all that mindblowing).

So what will it be, I wander now...
Now that you answered me I more and more turn green on the etymotics er4p... I guess I should try them to understand what they're like sounding, you really helped me but I don't feel it's enough Only because I am so excited about all these headphones and don't know what will be the final temporary investment in, as a matter of fact if it wasn't for head-fi comunity I would've never(probably) get to have the SONY d-e905 because I simply couldn't know it is so good, you said it is, and It IS Veeeeery Very GOOD, Thanks to Duncan's review, Ptrick and Purk, and all of you.

Sep 15, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Guest5
thanks for replyes.

I will listen to classical and pop music, I don't intend to use an amp, I will buy one latter but that's not important since the amp will not be portable, I want headphones just to use with my portable player and no amp.
Will the Etys sound Much more alive than other headphones I mentioned?
I know the soundstage depends on recordings but I've read people say The Etys sound in listener's head whilst other more big cans create a more wide and putside the head sound experience no matter on recordings.

With some open cans, there is an enhancement to the soundstage of the recording through psychoacoustic effects. As I mentioned earlier, the soundstage of the Etys is completely dependent upon the recording, no enhancement, no detraction. Remember the complete isolation with the Etymotics. It is quite disturbing to some and quite pleasant to others. Also to consider is the earplug itself in your ear. Some never get used to it, to some, accommodation is quite easy. The detail from the Etys is wonderful, although you will not realize the full potential of them without an “S” adaptor and a top flight amplifier. Since you have the Porta-Pros now I will give you a point of reference from them.

Compared to the PortaPro, the Etys have bass response that goes deeper, but is not as pronounced, i.e. more controlled and they are more neutral in the midbass area as compared to the PortaPros. In the midband, the Etys are a little more foreward, and much more neutral than the PortaPros. In the highs, there is really no comparison. The Etys are very smooth and non fatiguing as are the Koss Porta Pros, but much, much more detailed and extended at the same time. You can hear textures of string, bows, drum heads, etc. as though you were there with the Ety’s. Happy listening!
etysmile.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks, I understand now that Etymotics are the way to go for me since they are more detailed than other headphones I brought up.
One more question... a guy head-fi'er(sorry don't remember his Nick-name) wrote a long review on the Etimotics saying that even out of a portable the ER4S version sounds better than the ER4P and he used panasonic SL-CT470, correct me if I'm wrong but imho the CT470 has 9x9mw at 16 Ohm and its sound is not so good as of my 10x10mw at 16 Ohm D-E905 Discman... I think that my 1998 Sl220 sounds better than CT470 only cause it's older, actually I've never auditioned a CT470. The Ct470 got many not good feedback reviews while D-E905 is clamed to be one of all time best sounding Portables. So then if I'm right then my D-E905 Blows the CT470 by miles with tye sound quality, So I thought maby The ER4S will be better than er4P version, I think because of isolating function of the ER4 the Volume should not be too big to be pleasant sounding... I mean My porta pros run really loud at %60-65 volume, I would not turn up louder.

What do you think, are the ER4S the better ones for my Great Discman?

Sep 15, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 12
I feel you are MUCH better off getting the ER4-P with the "S" adapter cable. Then you have the best attributes of both.
Happy listening!
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back