Which headphones? Help please!!
Sep 27, 2002 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ought

New Head-Fier
Advice please.

I need some decent headphones for my new portable MD player, probably in-ear type. I am mainly considering the Sony EX70s or the Sennheiser MX500s but am open to suggestions. Having read a few reviews I am concerned that the Sony pair are bass heavy at the expense of elsewhere.

I play a lot of acoustic and indie stuff, also some classical. Think early Tori Amos, Aimee Mann, Coldplay, vocal, acoustic, guitar stuff so bass is not hugely important. Also I will listen on trains and planes so a pair suitable to that please.

Thanks muchly for any guidance!

Sb

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Ooooo, tough.

The EX70s will give the best isolation for use on the Tube and clattery falling-apart commuter trains.

However their characteristics aren't ideal for your music. Do you have an EQ (not megacrappobass - something that can reduce the bass and increase the treble a bit) on your portable? That'd work.

Alternatively, much as it may pain you to twiddle with a brand new pair of earphones, there are a range of highly effective 'mods' for the EX70's mentioned on this board - starting with the simple but effective 'tape mod' to tame these beasties a bit.

The MX500 is great but there's zippo in the way of isolation.

There's also the Bose Quie.... no, I think I'm not in the mood for flame-baiting today
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 7
EX70s are great for isolation, but do tend to go "boom!".
I really like my MX500s. Cheap and sound pretty good for an earbud.

How about some Aiwa VX-100s?

EDIT: Bloody hell you type quickly, Magicthyse.

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 7
THe ex70s are boomy. However, they're very easy to modify and the result is quite good.

Sep 28, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 7
The tape mod doesn't void warranty. Once you get them, you'll see a row of three holes in on the phones. The idea is to block them up with tape. This reduces the 'whoomph' bass.

Any other mod will invalidate your warranty.

And speaking of invalidating, welcome to Head-Fi, the best place to invalidate your credit card
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back