Which headphones have bass like the Sony XB700?
Oct 1, 2021 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GotNoRice

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sony XB700 headphones from about 12-13 years ago that I really enjoy. They are capable of some very amazing low-end bass that I don't really get from my other headphones. I'd just buy another pair, but they are long since discontinued. The pair I have is showing it's age, and at a very minimum will need the pads replaced soon.

What other headphones are capable of the kind of bass that you can get from the XB700?

I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro 80ohm and DT990-Pro 250ohm, and while I like them and they both have good bass compared to most headphones, the bass from the XB700 is simply on another level. The XB700 are the only headphones I own that actually have bass that is as good as my music stereo, where I run dual 15" subs in conjunction with my vintage JBLs that put out plenty of their own bass also.

I'm not set on any specific brand, but I'm not really interested in anything from Beats. I want lots of bass, but they have to actually sound good also...

Oct 2, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of Sony XB700 headphones from about 12-13 years ago that I really enjoy. They are capable of some very amazing low-end bass that I don't really get from my other headphones. I'd just buy another pair, but they are long since discontinued. The pair I have is showing it's age, and at a very minimum will need the pads replaced soon.

What other headphones are capable of the kind of bass that you can get from the XB700?

I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro 80ohm and DT990-Pro 250ohm, and while I like them and they both have good bass compared to most headphones, the bass from the XB700 is simply on another level. The XB700 are the only headphones I own that actually have bass that is as good as my music stereo, where I run dual 15" subs in conjunction with my vintage JBLs that put out plenty of their own bass also.

I'm not set on any specific brand, but I'm not really interested in anything from Beats. I want lots of bass, but they have to actually sound good also...

Might want to check out this thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...nes-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/page-808

The list at the beginning hasn't been updated in a few years but it seems like there's still discussion going on

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 5

Hmm, the MDR-XB700 is a bass cannon, in the purest sense of that term. It is simply heavy in the mid-bass, with decent sub-bass extension; rumble and boom are at their highest levels, albeit lacking in clarity, definition and articulation.

If you want something that is almost as heavy in the mid-bass, try the Meze 99 Classics. It is nearly as boomy, but retains better clarity and control throughout.

If you'd like to level up from the Meze, one of the best bass-heavy headphones you can get, in the contemporary market, is the Campfire Audio Cascade. It tones the bass a notch below the 99 Classics, but takes a couple of steps forward in sheer resolving prowess.

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Bumping this thread, curious if anyone else might have some recommendations. Thanks.

Jan 5, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Bumping this thread, curious if anyone else might have some recommendations. Thanks.
Just checked online. There are a few listings on Aliexpress and Amazon that feature XB500-1000 replacement pads. XB700s also go for pretty cheap on Ebay if you're willing to buy used, but since you already have a pair, I doubt that info is useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back