Which Headphones for Which Genres of Music?
Feb 27, 2004 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AlphaHX

100+ Head-Fier
Ive noticed people connect a lot of headphones to certain types of genres of music. I.E., classical for the Senn 650 and rock for the Grado 225.

But what I've noticed is not everyone listens to classical or rock or some just disagree completely that 225 cant do classical and that the 650 cant do rock. I want to hear some opinions about this. Tell us which headphones you use and which genre of music (choose 1 plz) u listen to most with them and explain why.

I guess I'll go first.
biggrin.gif

Headphone: HD650
Genre: R&B
Reason: OH SWEET MIDRANGE!! Haha... I love how smooth the overall sound is with Senns... vocals and all. Good stuff...

Headphone: SR225
Genre: Rap
Reason: POW! The 225 are great for rock but for some reason I love the slam it gives when listening to rap. Something tells me its satisfying the slam I liked in the good ol' days when I was a basshead.
basshead.gif

Headphone: ER-4
Genre: Rap
Reason: OH SWEET DETAILS!! Sometimes I gotta use etys to understand what rappers are saying. Haha...
confused.gif
tongue.gif

I cant wait to hear from those out there who own 5+ high end headphones. Haha...
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 12
senn hd 600 - for jazz and classical
grado sr 80 - for electronic jazz, rock, pop and basically when i get tired of the warmth of the hd 600 and want some adrenaline
akg k271s - when i want something thats a compromise between the senn and the grado with isolation
koss ksc 35 - it dont matter - i just use them with my pcdp when i want to listen in bed
senn mx 500 - it dont matter again as i use them whilst commuting.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
A truly great headphone system should be able to play all kinds of music, if not then something is terribly wrong.

i agree totally. if a headphone doesn't sound good to me playing any music, i feel that it sucks (i.e. hd600).

in the past week i have listened to both bach and outkast on my system, and i find it to reproduce both extremely well.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 12
I truly do not switch among my headphones for different genres. Usually what headphone I use depends on the situation...(i.e. my SR200 for my home rig, Ety's or KSC-35 for portable, HD580j for bed, or whatever). It's not like I say, "oh, this album is classified as rock, I think I'm going to use my Grado's then." Seems sort of an odd thing to do. I choose between my headphones based on their sonic presentation, whether I want something laid-back or exciting, or extremely detailed or whatever. And I agree that a truly great headphone is one that excels in all types of music.

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 12
i hafta admit that a good setup should be able to play all music. ive used my 650 for rock plenty of times but sometimes its just a bit more fitting to use my 225. why else would you have more than one phone?... for different sounds... and some more preferred than others when it comes to certain genres. its not that the headphones arent able to play all sorts of music, its just that some may not be as fitting. for example, some would agree that the 325 are bright and punchy. i dont think thats how i would like to describe the slow soothing jazz taht i listen to. others may disagree but i like my slow jazz to have rich midrange and have more of a laid back sound than forward and punchy.

i didnt bring this thread up so it would be a flaming war... so lets not start claiming that this and that headphones is not good for this and that type of music.

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
A truly great headphone system should be able to play all kinds of music, if not then something is terribly wrong.

True enough, but no matter how good a system sounds, there will always be strong and weak points, and personal taste enters very strongly into which system you prefer also. You might like your guitars to sceam when listening to rock but not when listening to jazz. Since every system is colored to some degree, you may prefer one's coloration to another with some types of music. If you have a number of systems and headphones to choose from one will inevitably be "better" for some types of music during some moods. Not that any won't sound good.

I personally prefer my W2002s with the modded Headmaster for jazz, the HP-1s with the Gilmore SE for rock and the HR-2 with the HD-650 for classical. Not that I really go out of my way to use one system or another depending on music, it depends more on my mood and which one I've haven't visited recently. All of them have their own unique color and quite honestly, it fascinates me to hear how the same music has different qualities highlighted by the differences in system.

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 12
I use Sony CD3000 for instrumental jazz (piano, guitars, cello). Oh the sweet high--CD3000 can really reproduce sharp attack and ringing of string based instruments to the finest degree.

On the other hand, I use Senn HD650/600 for vocal and easy listening.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 12
K1000 - rock guitar, piano (most congested and busy pieces)
DT880 - jazz & country female vocals, disco, classical violin, new age
K501 - DVD viewing (equalised, comfort), baroque, harpisord, piano, swing, big band
DT440 - TV N64 & PS1 gaming
SR80 - Computer Gaming, computer training
DT831 - Computer Gaming (better positioning)
DT931 - (modified), rock, techno, sex rap, electronica
K401 - bluegrass, latin, Indian, American Indian flute

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 12
Manufacturers should list what each of their headphones are good for. Why sell 10 different models of full sized headphones without detailing the strengths of each model.

HD598s
competitive gaming
classical music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back