Which headphones for non-audiophile needs?
Nov 28, 2004 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gevorg

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been lurking around this forum for two weeks now, but still can't pick the right headphones for my needs. I'm looking to upgrade from Senn HD-457. I'm NOT an audiphile, so I guess things that untrained ears cannot differentiate are insignificant. But I do appreciate great sounding music!
280smile.gif
Please suggest which headphones you think will work best for my case:

Price: $100-$200
Open/Closed: Does not matter
Portable: Does not matter

Thanks!!

Nov 29, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 14
I'd recommend Sennheiser HD555s or Alessandro MS1s. It just depends on your personal taste.
But, of course, I'd also recommend you stretch your budget and get Sennheiser HD580s. They work fantastically with your types of music.

Nov 29, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 14
You sure 580s can go without an amp? Hmmm... actually they might.
tongue.gif

I think the 595s are a great choice as well. If you're going for something near $200, the HD595s would be a great choice. They work decently without an amp and really nicely with even a cheap one.

(Just as a note to inform, the 595 is the big brother of the 555.)

I would personally consider the Sennheiser HD595 or the Audio-Technica ATH-A900. The ATH-A900 will be extremely large but closed. The HD595 will be smaller but open. The HD595s also look cooler.
biggrin.gif
Either choice would be great IMHO.

(Just my 2 cents. Wait for more responses
wink.gif
)

Good luck!
Venio

Nov 29, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 14
hehe... i'm tempted to recommend you those beyerdynamic dt440 before lini does. but keep in mind: try them before you buy them! depending on the place from where you're posting these cans can be ordered for bargain prices eg. in germany.

on the other hand i think that some of your musical preferences (esp. the acoustic line) could require even better resolving phones. but that would end up in immoral prices for source, amp and higher-end headphones...

Nov 29, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 14
I'd actually really highly recommend the Ultrasone HFI-650. If you can get them used, you'll be able to make your budget (they are 250 retail). They have REALLY good male vocals and acoustic performance. In addition, they run unamped and they are quite portable.

If not, you can always go for the HFI-550s. The little brother of those cans, but a bit more powerful in bass and not as refined on the highs. A so-called "non-audiophile" may not even be able to tell the difference.

Nov 29, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 14
Chaintek 710, High bitrate mp3's, Headphone budget of $100-$200. I hate to tell you this bud, but in the world of average people, you're already an audiophile.
biggrin.gif

Agreeing largely with what people have said here, headphones I would say you should consider:

- Senn HD555, HD595, used HD580/amp
- Audio Technica ATH-500, 700, 900
- Alessandro MS-1
- Grado SR-60, SR-225 - The 125 would be too close to the MS-1 to consider, 225 might be worth a listen just because it's in your budget. The 60 is just an awesome value.

All of the above headphones are at a minimum worthy of a look/listen. All except for the 580 sound very nice without an amp. All are capabable of doing well with your music tastes, but it's going to depend largely on your preference when it comes to which type of sound you will prefer.

If you really think you aren't an audiphile, focus on the first model listed in each bullet above and you are sure to find one you'll like at well within your budget.

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwarzenneger
sennheiser hd497.i have used them for months and could'nt be happier.

If he's narrowed them down to the HD555 or A500, he will not need to consider the HD497 at all. (Which is inferior.)

I had to make the exact same decision a few weeks ago.
biggrin.gif
I narrowed down my choices down to the two phones. I chose the A500 in the end.

A500 will be more detailed unamped. The HD555 is more mellow and will show less details unamped. In my opinion, you can't go wrong either way. HD555 will still be great for music.

I guess it depends on this: What kind of sound would you like better? Detailed with tight sound and very nice unamped (A500) or mellower/darker and a little bit smoother (HD555).

[size=xx-small]A500 is my personal preference.
tongue.gif
I thought that if I were going to buy a HD555, I would rather get the HD595. (Which is the big brother of the HD555 but with much better details.)[/size]

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 14
I would like the new headphone user to be aware of Fostex PQ Studio Quality, seen in the DVD The Beach Boys: Nashville sounds made in 1998.
Using T20 in 1998 at this I have bought 7 pair of the T40 for under $90 and with the outside sliders, there is no breakage unlike most other brands that break and can't be properly fixed, off of www.sweetwater.com
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back