Which headphones do (or don't) pair well with the Fiio E17? Less than $400
Apr 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

RMac

100+ Head-Fier
I put the price constraint on because I don't want people saying "well, the Fiio E17 doesnt do crap for my $1000 headphones. 
Although I think I could correctly assume that if you own $1000 headphones you wouldnt be using a portable amp.

So I'm looking to upgrade out of this Brainwavz M4 slump that I'm in, and want to get some rec's about what pairs well/ what doesn't with the Fiio E17.

Originally, I had my sights set on Grado SR-225 vs. Audio Technica AD-900.  Then Sennheiser HD598 entered in the picture...
I realize that these headphones all have different signatures.  What's most important to me is clarity/soundstage/imaging/separation, etc.
It doesnt matter that the AD-900's are bass shy, for example, because with the E17 I could EQ in more bass...
I don't listen to audiophile jazz or classical.  I'm just a normal dude (haha) listening to rock, indie, rap, etc.

Anyway, I wanna know what you guys have found pairs well with the E17 and what you think didn't pair so well, and why

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 19
You can get an HE-400 at that price. Its planar magnetic driver will probably do the best job at imaging and separation at that price point. It'll also give you some of the bass extension that all the others lack for genres like rap. Just don't have subpar recordings because it will rip them apart.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 19
From my experience with the E17 (although brief) I found it isn't very powerful but it is very clean, it paired well with the HE-400/HE-300, HD600, K501 and D2000 especially with it being a portable device.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 19
Looks like I have some more research to do now :)

Elto, you mention both the HE-300 and 400. What are the primary differences between the two.

TMRaven - I will be feeding these FLAC/V0 mp3s...but I assume you mean actually poorly recorded songs. In my opinion, I think I listen to well recorded stuff. I just wanna see how much I've actually been missing out on. But there is always that risk that my stuff is really trash. So maybe the HE-300 is more forgiving of source?

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Looks like I have some more research to do now
smily_headphones1.gif

Elto, you mention both the HE-300 and 400. What are the primary differences between the two.
TMRaven - I will be feeding these FLAC/V0 mp3s...but I assume you mean actually poorly recorded songs. In my opinion, I think I listen to well recorded stuff. I just wanna see how much I've actually been missing out on. But there is always that risk that my stuff is really trash. So maybe the HE-300 is more forgiving of source?

They are apples and oranges despite being from the same company. One is a traditional dynamic driver, the other a planar magnetic driver. You'll want to get the planar magnetic driver one.

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
I think it pairs well with my audio technica ath m50/le, dt990, shure srh440/840 and they really made the hd598s better. they did not do anything for my b&w p5.

Sonic Boom, how much better did they make the M50s?  I'm looking to get an amp for my M50s.  Some say the M50s don't benefit from amps some say they do.  Can you go into more detail of how much does the E17 improves the sound, possible which genres of music benefit the most from the E17 combo?  Thanks!

Los

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Looks like I have some more research to do now
smily_headphones1.gif

300s are dynamic, warmer sound signature, less punch, transient trebles, unsatisfying soundstage.
400s, smoother midrange, less punch but more bess extension, worse treble, better soundstage but still not great.

I prefer the 300s.

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 19
My thread is picking up some steam now. I'm glad.

Well when I get home I'll look up more about planar magnetic drivers. Any more headphones like that in that price range? And what advantage do they have over regular drivers?

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 19
T50RP and HE-400 are the only modern planar magnetics under $400.
Planar magnetic is a strange one, they usually have very very good midrange with good bass and "ok" soundstage, I've not heard a planar magnetic other than the HE-6s that have exceptional treble.
They really are different beasts than dynamic headphones but both have their advantages and disadvantages, planar magnetics are harder to drive than dynamic headphones so an amplifier is almost always necessary, the E17 powers the T50RP and HE-400 well though.

Although for Rock and indie music you'd probably prefer something brighter, planars are usually always darker with few exceptions.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I ordered the fiio e17. I have the beyer t5p so I'm interested in seeing the change. The beyer t5p is low impedance so I'm not too worried about power

Do keep me updated. I am equally  interested to know if the differences are appreciable or subtle at best when the E17 is used with the T5p.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 19
Hey audiophiles dont have genre constraints you know :wink:. Btw grado's are really good for rock their mid-bass hump and upper midrange emphasis really produce the drums and guitars quite well. I have an HD558 with the foam removed and since it shares the same driver as the 598 I think they should sound similar except maybe the 598 is a bit more refined due to different housing perhaps. The 558's have a really good midrange and the bass is quite good as well but I think it lacks a bit of definition, the soundstage is pretty good too but I think the treble is not up to par and not well extended so in terms of resolution it seems quite dull at times but that is a good thing in one way that I dont find it fatiguing in long sessions.

You could look at the Denon D5000, they can be found for under a 400 smackers on electronics expo though these are open box, but they are actually unused so you could go for them.

HE-400 is a planar, I dont know much about them but being a planar this one should have a really good and smooth midrange

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 19
300s are dynamic, warmer sound signature, less punch, transient trebles, unsatisfying soundstage.
400s, smoother midrange, less punch but more bess extension, worse treble, better soundstage but still not great.

I prefer the 300s.

Personally, none of them will cut it in the long run.
I don't see any reason to purchase them when their big brothers offer such an improvement.

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Personally, none of them will cut it in the long run.
I don't see any reason to purchase them when their big brothers offer such an improvement.

Not everyone can afford the next step up ($700), the He-300 I think to be one of the best, if not the best all-rounder that doesn't require amplification in the price range, $260 shipped worldwide (185 in classifieds) is a steal, this is regarding the new ones however with the cable upgrades and less wonky sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back