Which headphones are the best for me: K701, K601, HD580, HD595, DR150, DT880, MS-1, A900
Mar 25, 2008 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FL210

Head-Fier
I like pop, rap, hip-hop, rock, classic, gaming, movies, radio.
I have CDP, old Panasonic one, SL-CT810, which has been working well through years.
I plan to buy Cowon D2 or probably iPod nano 4G.
I like to taste clear natural pure sound without enough but not too much soundstage, I need every note to go into my ear as it originally is.
I do not like amps. I do not like closed, I do not like earbuds.
I have $200 to spend, atmost $300.

The list I plan to choose from is:
K701, K601, HD580, HD595, DR150, DT880, MS-1, A900.
Any suggestions? Please make comments so as to let me really make the choice without hesitation. Tks.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 16
Second that, MS-1's will fit your bill.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 16
I thought MS1s were quite colored?
DT880s are great for detailed and accurate sounds, but they require an amp IMO.
However, judging by your selection criteria, MS1 sounds good for your needs.

May I ask why you do not like amps? just out of curiosity.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 16
MS1's are colored, but I keep hearing that they are natural compared to the other Grados on the Prestige line. By the way, I'm using a D2 with my MS1's and I gotta say they're fantastic.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought MS1s were quite colored?
DT880s are great for detailed and accurate sounds, but they require an amp IMO.
However, judging by your selection criteria, MS1 sounds good for your needs.

May I ask why you do not like amps? just out of curiosity.

The reason I do not like amps is that I want everything simple, just D2-->Headphones. Amps are too clumsy to carry. I like travel a lot, with good music. I know there are some good portable amps in the market like RSA series, Dr. Xin series, but I just won't carry them with limited improvement to the sound of unamped phones.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1's are colored, but I keep hearing that they are natural compared to the other Grados on the Prestige line. By the way, I'm using a D2 with my MS1's and I gotta say they're fantastic.

Tks for your experience sharing. I know MS-1 has 32 impedance, good easy-driven on the ear phones for portable players, but I don't like colored sound, I like natural and pure sound, for this, I think K601 or DT880 or DR150 may do better?

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FL210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I do not like amps is that I want everything simple, just D2-->Headphones. Amps are too clumsy to carry. I like travel a lot, with good music. I know there are some good portable amps in the market like RSA series, Dr. Xin series, but I just won't carry them with limited improvement to the sound of unamped phones.

Oh well, if you're looking for portable use, you can scratch all the phones off except for goldring and Alessandros.
Amps for headphones such as K701 does not have limited improvements - it's huge IMO. Granted, you need a pretty powerful amp for K701s - they're quite picky and I don't recommend a portable amp for them.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 16
Just a bunch of opinions:
smily_headphones1.gif

K701
- The largest soundstage I know and most likely needs an amp, my favourite headphones but probably not your's.

K601
- Not as large soundstage as K701, but not small either. Somewhat extreme "punch"/dynamics for me, worth considering.

I would not get Sennheisers for portable use, mine broke and I know too many broken Senns from people I know. It is possible that this is a bigger problem in their lower product range. Also HD595 sound horribly muffled and unclear to me, not "clear and natural" as you said.

I have not tried, but DT880 may have too big a soundstage for you. MS-1 is by Grado which AFAIK is an expert of micro-class soundstages and high presence, but that's all I know.

And just as a hint: from reading reviews and opinions, I thought I'd be a Sennheiser fan, but when I tried different types, I found that AKG was better for me because of the clear separation of instruments and the soundstage (good for atmospheric music). I simply didn't know what I liked before I had tried.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 16
Perhaps you should actually listen to a few HPs, instead of relying on other folks to sort out your laundry list. Just a thought.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdtrbn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a bunch of opinions:
smily_headphones1.gif

K701
- The largest soundstage I know and most likely needs an amp, my favourite headphones but probably not your's.

K601
- Not as large soundstage as K701, but not small either. Somewhat extreme "punch"/dynamics for me, worth considering.

I would not get Sennheisers for portable use, mine broke and I know too many broken Senns from people I know. It is possible that this is a bigger problem in their lower product range. Also HD595 sound horribly muffled and unclear to me, not "clear and natural" as you said.

I have not tried, but DT880 may have too big a soundstage for you. MS-1 is by Grado which AFAIK is an expert of micro-class soundstages and high presence, but that's all I know.

And just as a hint: from reading reviews and opinions, I thought I'd be a Sennheiser fan, but when I tried different types, I found that AKG was better for me because of the clear separation of instruments and the soundstage (good for atmospheric music). I simply didn't know what I liked before I had tried.

Tks, jdtrbn, good points, this is what I would like to hear, and I seem to share more opinions in common with you.
I am a new hi-fier, but I tasted musics for years, mostly pop music, I admit if you say I am a music freak, 'cause I collect musics like eating foods. I have quite a lot albums on my shelves, 150G music in my discs, and 50G music in my HD right now. I listen to music mostly from my Panasonic CDP and Zen MP3 Player, but never thought getting a pair of good cans to improve my joy. So, here I am, choosing them.
Anyway, I read many reviews saying K601 and DT880 are like tiger and dragon, some like K601 more, whereas some DT880.
So I still like to collect enough opinions before I really make decision to keep ones with my life, I mean, for a couple of years.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wfranklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you should actually listen to a few HPs, instead of relying on other folks to sort out your laundry list. Just a thought.

Good suggestion. I would if I can find some good hi-fi audio stores in my area, but I see no headphones of my interesting in those stores.
And actually, I don't like shopping online, I like holding things in my hands when I'm paying the money.
But, seems the cans I like are all online, so I would rather take friends' opinions than study the data by myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

D2 is a powerful player, can drive 16 ohms phones to 74mW.
From the functions:
Power=Voltage*Current
Current=Voltage/Resistance
So, Power=Voltage[square]/Resistance
That is to say, Voltage[square]=Power/Resistance
That is to say, the D2 MAX voltage should be 1.09V, that's 1090mV, good power for such a little player.
And your MS-1 has 32 ohms impedance, if I remember? So your MS-1 may gain a MAX power of 37mW from your D2, that's quite enough for a pair of phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back