Which headphones $40 ~ $80 Sansa Clip as DAP
Apr 11, 2009 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GeoD

100+ Head-Fier
My good friend is in the market for some new in ear headphones to run off of his Sansa clip. Keeping it within the $40 - $80 range, what headphones would you recommend?

I was thinking something like the Metro.Fi 200, Super.Fi 3 but both are at the top of his price range, anything closer to $40 - $60?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 17
Amazon.com: Altec Lansing UHP336 Snugfit In-ear Earphone: Electronics
Rebranding of the Super.Fi 3s without replaceable cables. Great deal.

Amazon.com: NuForce NE-7M Stereo Earphones / Headset (iPhone Compatible): Electronics
These got a lot of positive publicity, although the trend seems to have died down, they're still probably a good choice. Bassy.

Head-Direct.com | YUIN
Head-Direct.com | YUIN
I used to own the RE2s. They have great mids that sound excellent with guitar-driven music. Vocals sound "classy". The treble and bass has decent extension, very good for the price. There is plenty of treble, but the bass can be considered a bit light by some people. I think it was fine, but definitely not for listening to hip-hop, house, or any exceptionally bass-driven genres. With the E5 bundle though, it is probably up to snuff.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does classy mean?

Refined I suppose, I just had an urge to use the word but knew it didn't exactly fit very well, so I put it in quotes.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 17
Denon C551's are still a great phone and can be had for cheap.

pink

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pk3s

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but just wondering how the Sansa Clip drives the PK3's? Noticed the PK2's are 16 ohms and the PK3's are 32 ohms. Fang at head-direct just shipped out my PK3's to me, so I'll find out pretty soon, but I wanted to know if the clip's volume has to be at maximum to compensate for the PK3's openness. Had a hell of a time driving the PK1's, but they're 150 ohms.

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 17
Both the NE-7 and PK3 are great choices in that price range, just depends on personal sound sig preference, isolation desired, and music type listened to.

PK3 is more airy, less iso, better for acoustic music IMO.

NE-7 has better bass and treble extension, but is more in the head and excels at electronic music.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 17
I just plugged my PK3s into my clip in place of Atrio M5. They may be 32 ohms but they are efficient and have very good dynamic range. You will get fantastic volume with the clip as noted by konakona!

I am continually surprised at how good these buds are.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR the PK3 and 2s can both be driven from the weakest of sources with the whitest of teeth. Well not the last bit but you get my point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I just plugged my PK3s into my clip in place of Atio M5. They may be 32 ohms but they are efficient and have very good dynamic range. You will get fantastic volume with the clip as noted by konakona!

Sweet, thanks!!

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 17
PK3s are an amazing bud for the money. To think, I once got them for $25 (gave them away to a friend) in a Head-Fi group buy. So far, I have purchased them three times (sold them the second time), and I won't ever sell them again. Should be part of any collection.

Quote:

I just plugged my PK3s into my clip in place of Atio M5. They may be 32 ohms but they are efficient and have very good dynamic range. You will get fantastic volume with the clip as noted by konakona!

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 17
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll let you know what he ends up with and what he thinks of them.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back