Which headphone was your "best bang for the buck?"
Oct 1, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #91 of 103
*Mine* was a used 225, which I picked up for $100.00. It may not remain that way as I've recabled it once using simple UE replacement cable and am now awaiting a Cardas 48" cable for another go.

Factor in the cost of solder?

Andy

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #93 of 103
I'm with apnk, the iM716s are ridiculously priced for what they offer (and their potential in the BushGuy mod). An even better value than the KSC-75, if that is possible.

Their drawback is microphonics. On my bike I use the KSC-75s (Kramer modded); less wind noise and I can better hear the surroundings. The KSC-75s offer more of a ‘fun-factor’, but can’t match the SQ of the iM716s.

Either is easily worth the price of admission.

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
AKG K1000 (keeps me happy from not having to dream so much about a speaker system)

Heh, me too.
k1000smile.gif

Even though I bought them 50% over their original retail, if they were stolen or destroyed I'd buy a new pair that day. In fact I'd almost consider being a total dick and buying another one to lock away just in case. But I could never deprive my fellow headfi'ers with such greed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #96 of 103
On the one hand, such a question can be answered as:

Which headphone(s) gave the best sound quality FOR THE MONEY?
This form of the question would be answered by me with:
KSC75, AKG K240S, AKG K501
Each of these phones gives many aspects of sound quality only available in phones from other manufacturers for multiples of their prices.

HOWEVER, I only use KSC75 for music which I only have access to at low bitrates or on low quality recordings - so my USE of it is not very high or often. I used each of the AKG K240S and AKG K501 as my main can for about six months, and then tapered off until I basically gave each away, each about a year after originally buying them. Whenever I'd listen to each of these AKG phones, I ALWAYS came away saying, "MAN, these phones sound really GOOD (for what I paid)." But, when it came to actually listening to my music, and wanting to experience that music in a way most meaningful to me, I soon found myself reaching for another phone. For folks who find the sound of these AKG phones to deliver, long-term, that meaningful sound that they reach for, then, for their sonic qualities and price, they can't be beat. But, for me, for what I paid for them for six months or so of use, how good WAS the bang for buck?

On the other hand, if best bang for buck has to do with how much USE I get from a phone for what I paid for it, I've got to say that, so far, my Grado SR225 have gotten three years of solid use (with MUCH music really enjoyed through them), and the HD580 I bought about a year ago are now solidly ensconced on the long-term listening tool (easily reachable) part of my listening desk area. Since I fitted these with HD600 grills and a Cardas replacement cable, they are not low-cost phones at this point. However, for the amount (frequency and time span) of USE (with high enjoyment) I'll get from them for what I paid, I have to say that I'm projecting them to deliver VERY good bang for buck.

I've said this before, and I'll repeat it here. I've read many posts reporting the HD580 and SR225 as being sonic polar opposites. I find them to be VERY complementary because of:
a) What they have in COMMON. In switching between them, I don't lose very much of what I love in the one to get what I love about the other.
b) What they don't have in common - when I switch from one to the other, I get strengths in each that are not present in the other - if not, why switch?
So, having the two extends the range of music I can listen to with optimal enjoyment. In short, I find them to be highly complementary.

But polar opposites? Not in my rig, to my ear...

Taking a step back:
There are some great recos in this thread. For everyone looking for their next step in phonage, enjoy the embarrassment of riches being pointed to.

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #97 of 103
Most of the cans I've had in my possession have been good deals, but the best are the ones I'm stuck with: HF-1 for $200 new and HD580 €80 slightly used. They both are excellent value for money.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #98 of 103
IMO bang for the buck means a good deal, so to pay fair price for an article is not a bang for the buck, is just that IMO a fair deal...Among the bang for the bucks, I remember, to get those Portapro2 at 20.00 during that sale in Circuit City, was top in my list, it was 20.00 AFAIK not 9.98 BTW, I still have the receipt around.....there is absolutely no other headphone IME that will perform similar, not even for three times as much...

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #100 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I remember, to get those Portapro2 at 20.00 during that sale in Circuit City, was top in my list, it was 20.00 AFAIK not 9.98 BTW, I still have the receipt around.....

I'd have to dig my reciept up, but I got them for 9.96. It was the last pair they had before they quit carrying them. I remember buying them a long time ago for 39.99$ (for a gift). The uber-cheap ones are mine, and I love 'em. (but like my hf-1's, db's, er4p's, and sometimes px100's, more... but not always).

**BRENT**

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #102 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by MexicanDragon
I'd have to dig my reciept up, but I got them for 9.96. It was the last pair they had before they quit carrying them. I remember buying them a long time ago for 39.99$ (for a gift). The uber-cheap ones are mine, and I love 'em. (but like my hf-1's, db's, er4p's, and sometimes px100's, more... but not always).

**BRENT**

Maybe you got a sort of an special deal on an open box unit, or the last unit in stock, but the price offered by them during the sale was 19.99, there was even a thread about that with the "heads up", that was where I got mine...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugby10
Altec Lansing IM716's for $39 and free shipping!!

$39.00??? Guys you are killing me I got mine for 62.00 a few days ago, and I was one of the happiest man in earth at that time...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #103 of 103
KSC-75/Sporta-Pros and Senn MX-500 earbuds for the size/price/sound ratio
EDIT: I almost forgot, I found some Brand New Koss UR-40's on clearance for $9.99 + 25% off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back