Which headphone type are least damaging to your hearing
Oct 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
This is entirely a guess but I would assume that IEM are actually less dangerous than over ear headphones.... Because they use tiny little drivers which move small amounts of air compared to over ears which can move some serious air with larger drivers.... I am not sure if this is correct but it seems logical.... Similar to standing next to a 20" subwoofer at a concert would probably do more damage than an iem at an equivalant sound level?

Although the opposite could be true and actually it is more dangerous using IEM's because they are compressed into such a small area?

I don't get much ear pain at all from my Shure IEM but the D2000 I had used to give me tinnitus and ear pain very easily... I dont get much problems with my HD650 but they are so boring sounding anyway I am not suprised.

If anyone with some knowledge of this could tell me I would be very interested to know.... for example which is safer at equal equivalant volume levels :

Assuming they all had the same frequency response...

Standing next to a speaker
Over ear headphones (I guess open design are safer than closed)
IEM's

I am 27 and I already have tinnitus and ear pain at times so this is bothering me a bit as I listen to headphones a lot...

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Sound waves... are Sound waves.

Regardless of the driver size.

In answer to your question, The safest, are the ones you don't use.

Jim

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 5
That was evident by your post...

Glad I could help, Jim
Quote:

Extremely informative thanks... I was not aware of the facts you have presented there.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 5
IEM's will isolate better, but they also are more sensitive and may be too loud even on the lowest volume of your DAP.

Basically, what Astroturf said. Keep things quiet and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back