Which headphone jack to use computer?
Dec 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RoRoLaw

New Head-Fier
Hey all I am new here couldn't find this in the search. I own this motherboard here p8p67 deluxe 
I am wondering if I can only use my headphones and speakers(z-2300) at the sametime. Do speakers and headphones share the same light green jack meaning that I can only have 1 connected at a time? Also on my case(haf 932) the front has a jack for headphones but I dont think they are as good as the ones from the soundcard?

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 5
the front jack is connected to your mobo so same ****. as the back and you cant plug both in at the sametime youll need a separate audio card or some kind of a splitter.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 5
If both of your headphones & speakers are using 3.5mm and you have 2 of 3.5mm (1 from mainboard and 1 from the case), you can use both of them at the same time. Just make sure that the jack on the case are actually connected to the soundcard on the mainboard. They should be pretty much the same if they are connected to the same mainboard.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I am wondering if I can only use my headphones and speakers(z-2300) at the sametime. Do speakers and headphones share the same light green jack meaning that I can only have 1 connected at a time?

Yes. Unless you use a splitter as suggested above, or can set the driver up in a way that stereo audio will be played on both the front and rear channels, and use the green and black connectors, but this tends not to work in many/most cases. Also, the non-front outputs often have less power and worse sound quality.

Quote:
Also on my case(haf 932) the front has a jack for headphones but I dont think they are as good as the ones from the soundcard?

The signal on the front panel is usually the same as on the green "front" output jack, but it picks up a small amount of noise because of the long cable that connects to the front panel, and is close to "noisy" components like the hard drive, graphics card, etc. This might not actually be audible, though. Also, you may not be able to use both jacks at the same time (at least with my sound card that is the case, there is a control that toggles between the two).

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Hey all I am new here couldn't find this in the search. I own this motherboard here p8p67 deluxe 
I am wondering if I can only use my headphones and speakers(z-2300) at the sametime. Do speakers and headphones share the same light green jack meaning that I can only have 1 connected at a time? Also on my case(haf 932) the front has a jack for headphones but I dont think they are as good as the ones from the soundcard?

Heya,

I output to my headphones & speakers at the same time using simple $30 Xonar DG soundcard. It allows you to output over analog and digital at the same time. You can use optical output -> one setup. And analog output -> other setup. I use the optical to output to my DAC for headphone setup. I use the analog out to my receiver for my speaker setup. Plays simultaneous so when the headphones come off, I have the speakers going with no break in audio.

Doesn't look like your Z-2300 has optical input, just analog, and since you're plugging headphones directly into the onboard sound chipset, I assume you have no headphone equipment in general. A way to work around this is an inexpensive Fiio D3, which will take the optical signal, and convert to two channel RCA analog. This will then let you plug right into your Z-2300 and play them over digital (PCM) while the headphones get plugged directly into the Xonar DG's analog output. Simultaneous playback. Has an amplifier on board too, so you can get more out of those headphones. Just use the Xonar DG with that Fiio D3 and you're set, for a very inexpensive total cost.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back