Which headphone is most popular in recording studios, etc.,for accuracy?
Apr 27, 2007 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just wondering which headphone are the most popular in recording studios, and/or for recording music for mastering of high quality CD's for accuracy, and as a reference?
Also, in your personal opinion or from personal experience, which headphone is the best and most accurate, to make the very best recordings, when using them to monitor a recording session?
Thanks for your answers!

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 22
You will get at least 10 different answers.

AKG claims that it is the K141 Monitor. Sony claims it is the MDR-7506. Dunno what the other manufacturers say.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 22
The known fact is that the most popular headphone in American recording studios is the MDR7506, or the MDRV6, both are similar sounding, if not the same.

Other accurate headphones would be the Sennheiser eH350, or even a Beyerdynamic DT250 to a point.

But as ericj states, you will get a lot of answers, as there are a lot of "flat-sounding" cans out there. Probably how much you are willing to spend is what will guide you.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Common one's

-7506/v6

-hd600/650

-k271

-sr325i

I think clarity and detail is more important (for headphones) than a flat frequency response , monitors are for that.

I've never seen an HD600/650 or sr325i in a studio. For that matter, I've never seen any open can in a studio. Most headphones in a studio are for tracking, rather than mixing or mastering, and you definitely do not want open headphones bleeding into open mics while tracking.

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never seen an HD600/650 or sr325i in a studio. For that matter, I've never seen any open can in a studio. Most headphones in a studio are for tracking, rather than mixing or mastering, and you definitely do not want open headphones bleeding into open mics while tracking.

I was under the impression he said

"recording music for mastering of high quality CD's "

Open cans are used for mastering of high end (read classical ) recordings.

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Common one's

-7506/v6

-hd600/650

-k271

-sr325i

I think clarity and detail is more important (for headphones) than a flat frequency response , monitors are for that.

SR-325's for studio monitoring? No offense, but everyone knows that these phones are very treble-centric and therefore colored, not the type of thing you want to monitor with.

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Common one's

-7506/v6

-hd600/650

-k271

-sr325i

I'm not quite sure any Grado would be used for recording. And probably not the Sennheisers mentioned either.

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not quite sure any Grado would be used for recording.

Not even the HP1000?
eek.gif
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-325's for studio monitoring? No offense, but everyone knows that these phones are very treble-centric and therefore colored, not the type of thing you want to monitor with.

I don't find them treble centric at all Neither do alot of the 30+ people who have stated they own them .

A google search for 325i + "studio monitoring" will bring up lots of results where people both pro's and amature's are using 325i's for monitoring.

I also believe someone here said that he saw them at carnegie hall being used for monitoring.

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The known fact is that the most popular headphone in American recording studios is the MDR7506, or the MDRV6, both are similar sounding, if not the same.

Yeah, this is a popularly held belief. And yet here is AKG's claim about the K141-M:

http://www.akg.com/site/products/pow...nguage,EN.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back