which headphone is more immersive, Atrium or caldera?
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Goldhamster916

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

i am in a kind of analysis paralyses in deciding between those two for weeks now.
i cant demo them so the only way is to get some insight from people who have heard both. i would really appreciate it!
i have been student till recently and i have to save up for a very long time to buy one, so i really want to make it count.

what i am looking for in headphones is ,,immersion''. the feeling of really ,,being there''. so i am looking for a expansive yet convincing soundstage with excellent layering but also precise imaging withing that soundstage. how would you describe the calderas ,,immersiveness'' factor in that sense compared to the atrium?

i heard the atrium really has a almost holographic quality, (especially with otl tube amps) which really draws you in and which the caldera cant quite reach, do you find that true?

is there any way to improve the soundstage on the caldera via pads and/or amps?

i also heard the imaging on the caldera within that stage is more precise is that true aswell to your ears?

would you say the caldera is a lot more detailed then the atrium? would i hear a noticable difference in soundeffects of movies?

the second most important charackteristic for me is the bass. i watch a lot of movies so i would really appreciate some ,,subwoofer'esque'' low end rumble and impact. if i eq the low end FR on both to the same target, how would the bass differ?
does the atrium have more impact and the caldera more subbass rumble?

i am sorry for asking so many questions, i would really appreciate your time to answer any of those!

thank you and best regards

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Have you asked ZMF directly?

No offense, but almost everyone is looking for an "immersive" headphone and either of these will sound amazing. What does the rest of your chain look like? What other headphones do you like? What do you dislike? Do you like planar dynamic headphones?

Personally, I'd recommend you buy a used setup and learn what you like or don’t like.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 7
what i am looking for in headphones is ,,immersion''. the feeling of really ,,being there''. so i am looking for a expansive yet convincing soundstage with excellent layering but also precise imaging withing that soundstage. how would you describe the calderas ,,immersiveness'' factor in that sense compared to the atrium?
Speaking from experience, the overall sensation of ‘immersion’ within an audio experience is predominantly influenced by the genre of music, the quality of its mastering, and the listener’s mood, rather than the selection of headphones—this holds particularly true when comparing models within the top-tier range.
An expansive and yet convincing soundstage to me is something that no headphone does right (physics), a well-configured speaker system can often provide a superior spatial audio presentation.
However, if a choice must be made between the options presented, I would recommend the Atrium.

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Have you asked ZMF directly?

No offense, but almost everyone is looking for an "immersive" headphone and either of these will sound amazing. What does the rest of your chain look like? What other headphones do you like? What do you dislike? Do you like planar dynamic headphones?

Personally, I'd recommend you buy a used setup and learn what you like or don’t like.
I have had a arya and some lower end dynamics. I like both types. I also have a high end speaker setup which i have to sell due to moving. i know a subwoofer speaker setup is a different experience then headphones but it would be nice to get headphones which at least within the headphone world sound most ,,subwoofer esque'' and also have headphones which give a sense of space. Apart from listening to music i will also game and watching mopvies with these hence the value for the spacial presentaion and bass.

I will buy a amp/dac dependent on the headphone choice. From all i have gathered the atrium on a tube amp fits very good, i am just not sure how much better the caldera is in detail retrieval and if the caldera would have better bass in the earlier stated sense when both are bass equed to a harman target.

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Speaking from experience, the overall sensation of ‘immersion’ within an audio experience is predominantly influenced by the genre of music, the quality of its mastering, and the listener’s mood, rather than the selection of headphones—this holds particularly true when comparing models within the top-tier range.
An expansive and yet convincing soundstage to me is something that no headphone does right (physics), a well-configured speaker system can often provide a superior spatial audio presentation.
However, if a choice must be made between the options presented, I would recommend the Atrium.

for music i really listen acroos all genres, mostlky to well mastered tracks. besides listenhing to music i will also watch movies and game on these, probably with a surround sound virtualization software. I dont look for a apeaker eyperience in headphones, but i do appreciate a sense of spacioussnes and image localization aswell as good bass extension and impact.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 7
I have had a arya and some lower end dynamics. I like both types. I also have a high end speaker setup which i have to sell due to moving. i know a subwoofer speaker setup is a different experience then headphones but it would be nice to get headphones which at least within the headphone world sound most ,,subwoofer esque'' and also have headphones which give a sense of space. Apart from listening to music i will also game and watching mopvies with these hence the value for the spacial presentaion and bass.

I will buy a amp/dac dependent on the headphone choice. From all i have gathered the atrium on a tube amp fits very good, i am just not sure how much better the caldera is in detail retrieval and if the caldera would have better bass in the earlier stated sense when both are bass equed to a harman target.
Ah, okay, this makes a little more sense.

The sub-bass extension is better on the Caldera is better, but bass overall is better on the Atrium although some hear it differently. The Caldera is more detailed and has better clarity, but the Atrium is more dynamic with a more open/expansive headstage. The (comparative) lack of dynamics on the Caldera might be somewhat mitigated with an excellent solid state amp, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on which one exactly. Some people say the Mjolnir 3 is great, others say it's not quite enough. I suspect the ECP DSHA-3F would be an excellent pairing, though I haven't heard it.

Keep in mind none of these will stage or image like a high-end speaker rig.

I guess I'd still recommend you listen to a planar headphone before buying a Caldera.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back