Which headphone: HD650 or SA5000 : Tough choice
Aug 15, 2005 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

sirnice

100+ Head-Fier
At first I wanted the RS-1 but then I already have the MS-1 and it's not comfortable enough for long music sessions.
So now I'm debating on these two cans.
HD650 or SA5000 Also interested in the HD600 too if it's not much different from HD650 (in terms of tightness in the bass).

Does anyone owned both or have listened or tested both?

I'll using these with the VDA-1 and VAC-1 and an amp (haven't figure out which one yet).

I want overall clarity and tight punch bass.
So which one is better? disregard cost.

Edit:
I also want to add that I owned a pair of HD595 before and I didn't like it much. While it's really comfortable, it's sounded dull and has muddy bass.
I hope the HD650 doesn't have those issues.

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 27
Go for the HD650. It owns in every respect.
biggrin.gif

Only get the SA5K if you're willing to gamble on the fact that your setup might be good enough for the SA5K or if you want it for a special type of music (electronica in my case).

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 27
Aug 15, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 27
Aug 15, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 27
Aug 15, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 27
Hello,

I own the HD650's and I can listen to them for long amounts of time without fear of fatigue. I can't say for the SA5000's as I haven't heard them, but the HD650's are a definite winner should you decide to get them.

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirnice
Does anyone owned both or have listened or tested both?

I'll using these with the VDA-1 and VAC-1 and an amp (haven't figure out which one yet).

Edit:
I also want to add that I owned a pair of HD595 before and I didn't like it much. While it's really comfortable, it's sounded dull and has muddy bass.

I used to own both headphones, and sold the 650/Zu within a week of getting the SA5000. If you want clarity and tight punchy bass, you want the SA5000. A futher clue is that you did not like the 595, which sounds much closer to the HD650 than the SA5000. From what I have read the CI gear makes for a pretty good source, stick a nice amp in there, and you'll have a very nice little rig indeed.

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

<snip>

Edit:

I'm kind of confused how people can recommend the HD650 over the SA5000 given these statements here. I have a lot of respect for the HD650 and those who prefer it over the SA5000. I think the HD650 does sound more natural and effortless with a lot of music, and can understand how it sounds more true to natural instrments to some people with their music.

But when it comes to having more clarity, tight punchy bass, and a not "dull" or "muddy bass" sound, I clearly think of the SA5000 over the HD650. The HD650 cetainly is not a laggard in terms of clarity or good bass. It's just that these two are the SA5000's strengths and it is truly superlative in these areas.

What kind of music do you listen to? If it's more pop or rock, music that is generally processed/amplified, given what you've said above, I'd generally say go with the SA5000. If it's more real acoustic sounds (classical, jazz) I might say go HD650.

Incidentally, I preferred the HD600/Cardas over the HD650/Zu. The HD650/Zu was the better headphone, but it lacked the seductiveness of the midrange that the HD600/Cardas had. The HD650/Zu did better in terms of treble performance though and a flatter tonal response (at least to my ears). Anyway, I never did cable swapping between the two, so can't really speak to whether it was the cable or the HD6X0 model that was the cause of these differences.

Best regards,

-Jason

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I'm kind of confused how people can recommend the HD650 over the SA5000 given these statements here. I have a lot of respect for the HD650 and those who prefer it over the SA5000. I think the HD650 does sound more natural and effortless with a lot of music, and can understand how it sounds more true to natural instrments to some people with their music.

But when it comes to having more clarity, tight punchy bass, and a not "dull" or "muddy bass" sound, I clearly think of the SA5000 over the HD650. The HD650 cetainly is not a laggard in terms of clarity or good bass. It's just that these two are the SA5000's strengths and it is truly superlative in these areas.

What kind of music do you listen to? If it's more pop or rock, music that is generally processed/amplified, given what you've said above, I'd generally say go with the SA5000. If it's more real acoustic sounds (classical, jazz) I might say go HD650.

Incidentally, I preferred the HD600/Cardas over the HD650/Zu. The HD650/Zu was the better headphone, but it lacked the seductiveness of the midrange that the HD600/Cardas had. The HD650/Zu did better in terms of treble performance though and a flatter tonal response (at least to my ears). Anyway, I never did cable swapping between the two, so can't really speak to whether it was the cable or the HD6X0 model that was the cause of these differences.

Best regards,

-Jason

I listen to mostly rock , pop , R&B, Rap. Not much classical/instrumental, Jazz stuff. I don't like warm sounding headphones. They're too boring to listen to (HD595). I like moderately bright, clean/clear sound with tight/impactful bass to go with it (I think thats a more fun sound to listen to).
Looks like i'm leaning toward the SA5000. What kind of amp will I need to drive that sucker. I wouldn't suppose the Portaphile V2 is enough would it? What about the Headsave Classic? I've heard a lot of good things bout those two but now sure if they have enough power to drive the SA5k.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 27
I haven't heard the SA5000 (I'm looking forward to it) but if you thought the 595 was dull you won't like the HD650. I don't know if you'd like the SA5000 or not, I would just guess that the HD650 is not for you.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

What kind of amp will I need to drive that sucker. I wouldn't suppose the Portaphile V2 is enough would it? What about the Headsave Classic? I've heard a lot of good things bout those two but now sure if they have enough power to drive the SA5k.

I actually don't have a whole lot of amp experience. I do think the SA5000 is a harder can to drive and in this regard, it reminds me more of a HD650 (though I don't think the SA5k is quite as hard to drive) than an audio-technica or Grado PS-1.

I didn't like the SR-71 with my SA5000. I think the synergy was bad as both tend towards being thin and it was overly treble-happy. I really love my SA5000/Grace m902 combination. I will vouch for its synergy, though can't say that there aren't better amps out there. I haven't tried the SA5000 with my AE-1 yet, but I have a feeling that the AE-1 will drive it just fine.

I guess my thoughts on a good amp for the SA5000 is to stay away from the ones that are known for being thinner or bright, but still go for ones that max out the SA5000's strengths - very fast amps with a nice tightly-controlled, yet still robust bass.

Of course, we can't leave matching with your source as well out of this, which is undoubtedly very important. I am curious about the SA5k/DAC1 synergy, as I would have thought it wouldn't have been a good combo - but people who have tried it have reported very positive results.

Best regards,

-Jason

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 27
Well according to the last discussion we had here in headfi a few hours ago about the SA5000, I could conclude that, after reading a few posts of a nice and a very educated man, that made some very educated comments, that if you do not have at least $15,000 to built a system around the SA5000 to make is sound just right, please do yourself a favor and go for the HD650.....
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well according to the last discussion we had here in headfi a few hours ago about the SA5000, I could conclude that, after reading a few posts of a nice and a very educated man, that made some very educated comments, that if you do not have at least $15,000 to built a system around the SA5000 to make is sound just right, please do yourself a favor and go for the HD650.....
evil_smiley.gif

LOL! I thought it was the HD650 that required all that high end equipment.

I'm so confused.
confused.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
evil_smiley.gif

No, that was $1800 total - all new equipment - Lehmann Black Cube linear amp and Eastsound CD E5 CPD player witht he SA5000.

If you use any lesser source than commerical compact discs played on an E5 or better player, then the HD650 would likely make you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back