Which headphone has the least amount of leakage?
Feb 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

room zoom

New Head-Fier
Headphones are for listening to music at a decent volume with the wife two feet away, in bed. I mainly listen to rock, ambient/space, classical and instrumental music. My research so far leads me to the ATH-M50s, my budget is up to ~$400 for the headphones and another up to ~$400 for an amp/DAC, if needed. I should mention my source will be my iPad (with the camera connection kit USB to plug into the amp/DAC USB). All of your suggestions are kindly welcomed. Thanks in advance. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
M50 is very good for your isolation needs but only ok for your genres. For your budget Im sure there is something better.

As much I like my M50's I have to disagree with this statement. They do leak quite a bit if your playing them at anything above 50% volume. If I want to play them without any sound leaking I have to put my audio volume to the point where I can hardly hear any of the details of the song. In your case I would just say go with some in ear headphones because those barely leak even at high volumes.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 10
Granted I don't have experience with a ton of headphones but if isolation is top priority I've never experienced anything that isolated like the Sennheiser HD280 PROs.  Borrowed a pair from a friend for a few days and the world basically ceases to exist with those on, they're like a vault.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Not quite sure, M50's can not have leakage if you mod them a little. I used a hot glue gun on my old $15 pair of headphones around the backs of the pads, and on the inside edges of the pads, and it prevented leakage a little, but I would never do that to a legit pair of headphones that cost more than $20. Definitely not worth it, but you can switch out the pads and stuff if you know how to do it right.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 10
I use AKG 271s at work and people claim they can't hear anything.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Beyerdynamic T70 is pretty "dead" - will fit into your $800 budget with a suitable amplifier and cash to spare. I'm assuming the DT770 is equally dead (I've owned the T70, the DT770 looks similar). 

Kenwood KH-K1000 seems to do a good job keeping the sound in as well; doesn't seem to isolate as well as the Beyers - not sure if that means it leaks more. 

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro is a good suggestion as well, but I don't like their sound. I think most studio monitors will probably accomplish what you want (sound quality not considered at all in this statement).

There's also the Sony PFR-V1, which would solve your problem in a different way: you'd have the couch all to yourself, and could be as noisy as you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back