Which headphone amp for vinyl playback?
Apr 17, 2017 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MPH91

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a good headphone amp for playing records. My setup consists of:

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M red 
Phono Preamp: Schiit Mani
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Since I like the Mani I was browsing through Schiit's amps on their website and the Magni 2 (Uber) and the Vali 2 caught my eye. I prefer a bit more bassy and warmer sound signature so I figured the Vali would maybe be the better option however I am not sure if it will sound good in my current setup. I'd also like to have the option to upgrade my headphones to a model like the Sennheiser HD650 or something in that range so the amp should be able to drive headphones like these too. Do you think I should go for one of the two mentioned above or can you think of any other amps that would be suitable? The budget is around 200 bucks. I don't care if it is solid state, hybrid or tube.
Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 4
I think the Vali 2 would be a great choice in this range, with the ability to tune the sound a bit to your liking with different tube choices. It also has plenty of power for something like the HD650s 

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 4
I think that HD650 would be too dark and too "Compacted" in combination with turntable. For this kind of system bright sounding headphones should be better. AKG Q701 ARE know for their synergy with vinyl, try them you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back