which headphone amp for rs-2
Sep 1, 2007 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

matt120

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I've been listening to my rs-2s connected to my emu 0404usb and have been loving every second of it, but now I feel its time to spend a little more cash on a dedicated amp and have to listen to all my music again
eggosmile.gif

My budget is $500 - $600 but I wouldn't mind spending less!!

I was wondering about the Gilmore Lite, and was wondering if the powersupply was worth the additional outlay or if there was something better at that price bracket.

The Mapletree Ear+ also stands out but will blow my budget time I've paid for shipping...I should have brought one before the price hike.

Any advice, or alteranatives would be more than welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 9
I'd say blow your budget a little and get the Mapletree Audio Ear+ Purist HD/HD2. You'll not regret of spending a bit more.
BTW, aren't you curious about how the RS-2 sounds with a MAD ... ?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 9
If your budget can not stretch that high check the For Sale Forum, there was an used Mapletree Ear + Purist HD for sale.
icon10.gif

Other alternatives are: used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3 ($140 to $325). The Little Dot Micro Tube at $225 (for the maxed version), or a Millet Max at about $250 with boutique parts.

If you want to keep it cheap then an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 ($140 to $190) would be my first choice. In order to get the most out of the V2 I would recommend you get:

1. Jameco P/N 167151 ($7.59 plus S&H) at www.jameco.com This PSU will provide 1.5 amps versus the 0.5 amps of the stock wall-wart supplied by Musical Fidelity and will be a big improvement in bass impact and clarity.

2. If the unit you get has Phillips 6922 then you are set. The Phillips are quite good and a great value. However if you wanted to spice things up you could get the Russian 6H23-EB at about $40 for a matched set in Ebay.

3. Next you can go a bit over board
cool.gif
but for about $75 you can buy all the parts to do the PinkFloyd Mods and bring this little jewel to a whole new level.

The biggest bang for the back is option 1 above, followed by 2, and 3. Even if you do all three you are in for about $275 to $325 depending on how much you pay for the V2. I am also assuming you can do the mods yourself, which are quite easy even for me (a Non-DIY'er).

Best of luck.

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the input guys.....there was me thinking you'd all tell me I was silly blowing all my money on a Mapletree Ear+ HD. Is it worth spending the extra on Tantalum film plate resistors and Black Gate capacitors?

I'm kinda scared about reaching the top...:p

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Is it worth spending the extra on Tantalum film plate resistors and Black Gate capacitors?

I'm kinda scared about reaching the top...:p

IMO yes it is worth it. BTW the Green Solo by Graham Slee is shaping up very nicely with Grado and AKG. My Green Solo only has 100 hours of burn in but I am very impressed.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> ... or a Millet Max at about $250 with boutique parts. </snip>

If Colin is building you one for that, you took advantage.
wink.gif
Maybe that price is good for parts with boutiques, but a built one should be closer to $350, maybe $400 for a custom build with boutique parts.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Colin is building you one for that, you took advantage.
wink.gif
Maybe that price is good for parts with boutiques, but a built one should be closer to $350, maybe $400 for a custom build with boutique parts.

It is $350, sorry for the mistake. I was going on my memory which is not very good anymore.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back