Which headphone amp do you recommend?
Jan 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Fistulator

New Head-Fier
I have just set foot in the world of audiophillia and I have a very severe case of upgraditis. What I'm currently thinking about is a portable headphone amp. My current setup is a Cowon D2 with Shure SE530s and my musical preferences are cool jazz, jazz fusion, death metal, prog rock and a bit of jazz-funk, so a good all-rounder would probably be what I'm looking for. I am willing to spend up to 200 euros and I need a site that ships to Europe.

I've been about buying the the Headroom Bithead amp, because it doubles as a sound card, but I don't know if it's any good.

Thank you in advance.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 16
Does the Cowan D2 have a line-out socket?

If it does then for portable I would recommend the iBasso D3 because I have one and the Meier Audio 3Move because I want one.

For desktop I would recommend the Meier Audio Arietta because I have one of those too.

If there's no line-out then I probably wouldn't bother with an amp as I don't believe the SE530's would benefit.

Steven.

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 16
It's all about increasing the SQ as any portable can take your IEM to ear bleeding levels.

I know there's a thread by Skylab where he did reviews many portable amps, so I suggest looking up that thread. It may be a sticky thread.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 16
I have had three portable amps: 1) the Total Airhead, The Decware Zenhead, and the IBasso D3. By far the best value in my opinion is the D3. The sound is extraordinary and the DAC is incredible. The build quality is top notch and it can be used as a stand alone DAC bypassing the internal amp.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 16
I am totaly in love with my Headsix amp. It sounds incredible via the LOD and my UE triple.fi 10 Pro. It has it's unique, warm and dynamic sound signature - it offers much much more than just the amplification of the sound!
It also looks nice (kind of minimalistic) and has a good built quality.
And after the burn in the sound opens even more.
Today I don't understand how I was able in the past to survive without an amp...

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 16
ive got the d2 and use the e5 amp it helps my ultrasones with depth ect ect and ok i cant compare to a corda but the d2 has only hp out so any amp no matter how good is going to amplify any shortcomings in the original amp isnt it? but having said that a good dac/amp combination will come in with any future purchases and is something im also looking at getting

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 16
Fiio E5 all the way

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fiio E5 all the way

The Fiio E5 is a great little sound booster/enhancement amp.Great value at $25 bucks.And makes any earphones/buds sound better.I have a feeling Fiio is going to come out with a killer moderately priced headphone amp!Lets face it they have the technology to make these great little budget amps.Why not go a step further?Anyways besides that the iBasso D3 is getting a lot of attention right now.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by not /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a 3move on the for sale board right now.

Where are the 3Moves on sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back