Which headphone amp+DAC that can serve as a preamp for powered speakers?
Mar 12, 2015 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bert

100+ Head-Fier
I have a new pair of Adam F5 active speakers on my desktop but now need a headphone amp with DAC that has variable preamp outputs so I can control the speaker volume.

Below is the list of candidates that have variable line-level output I have gleaned by sifting through many posts. Please add any that come to mind and correct me where I err. I don’t want to spend much over $250-350 USD.

1. Matrix M-Stage HPA-2
  2. Aune X1Fostex HP-A3
  3. Emotiva XDA-2 Gen2
  4. Schitt Modi 2 + Magni 2 Uber
  5. Fiio E9 + E17
  6. Audioengine D1
  7. Most pro audio USB interfaces such a as Focusrite Scarlett Solo, 2i2, etc

I will post this list to the amp section as a reference once I have a longer list

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 12
There is a whole class of devices designed to get the best out of active monitors. They are called audio interfaces.

The pro and semi pro manufacturers have been making these for 2 decades now and they are way ahead of the domestic hi-fi and HT companies.

RME, SPL and Audient make the best ones for windows. MOTU, Native Instruments, Focusrite and Roland make more affordable but still excellent models.

Try not to build hybrid system. Either go down the home hi-fi route with AVR and passives or go studio monitors and an audio interface. Avoid products aimed at 'gamers'. Don't mix paradigms whenever possible.

=Native%20Instruments&manufacturer[]=Focusrite&manufacturer[]=MOTU&manufacturer[]=RME&manufacturer[]=Roland&manufacturer[]=Audient&manufacturer[]=SPL&price-first=130&price-last=590&oa=prd]http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?filter=true&gk=coaius&manufacturer[]=Native%20Instruments&manufacturer[]=Focusrite&manufacturer[]=MOTU&manufacturer[]=RME&manufacturer[]=Roland&manufacturer[]=Audient&manufacturer[]=SPL&price-first=130&price-last=590&oa=prd

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 12
Below is the list of candidates that have variable line-level output I have gleaned by sifting through many posts. Please add any that come to mind and correct me where I err. I don’t want to spend much over $250-350 USD.

The Audio-GD NFB-15 would be at the top of my list.

The pro and semi pro manufacturers have been making these for 2 decades now and they are way ahead of the domestic hi-fi and HT companies.

Please provide actual data that supports this.

Notably, pro audio manufacturers often provide little or no information about the headphone amp capabilities of their interfaces. For example, http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8/specifications. So these devices may not serve the OP's needs.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 12
The Audio-GD NFB-15 would be at the top of my list..

+1, Audio-GD NFB-15.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 12
  Are the various upgrades worthwhile?

As this is going to be an investment in something you will use for years.
Might as well get the TCXO and 35 Watt upgrades (can't see a need for the BNC)

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 12
I got the power upgrade and the TCXO. Of course, I don't know how it sounds without the upgrades, so not sure how much difference it actually makes :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 12
I have an opportunity to get a used  M-Stage HPA-2 w/USB DAC for about $250, shipped. Perusing the forums, it looks like it is also a pretty good unit.

Folks here seem to like it too. opinions?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back