Which Head Phones would compliment the HD600’s?
Aug 24, 2002 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the HD600’s and love them. I wanted to get another set of headphones and wanted a pair that would compliment the HD600’s. If the HD600’s are laid back and good for so and so type of music which headphones would be brighter (?) or compliment music the HD’s might not fully present?

Comfortable and High impedance since I’ll be using the MG Head and the Corda HA-1? No need to be portable.

Aug 24, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 10
Hmm, brighter and more forward? My friend, you've just descrived grados.
smily_headphones1.gif
How much are you willing to spend?

Aug 24, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Welllll... My Etys compliment my HD600s nicely. But I don't know if they'd fulfill your requirements of being brighter/more forward; although they certainly are also (relatively) high impedance.

Aug 24, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi,
I would recommend you to go with Grado Sr-225. They are inexpensive and suppose to be one of the best cans for rock. Anyway, they only cost 140 in Ebay...oh, don't forget to feed them with Meta42 or Cha47. Good luck.

Purk

Aug 24, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 10
I have both the HD 590 and the 600's and my preference for the very reasons you pointed out is the 590's. They are in the same family as the 600's but they are way more lively and dynamic. They are easy to drive and don't need a lot to make them sound good. They are cheaper too but the build quality is not nearly as nice as the 600's.

My other choice would be the Grado 225's. All the same qualities as the 590's but a little more restrained and pleasant.

I hope that helps.

Best
Brian

Aug 25, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 10
My suggestion would be the Beyerdynamic DT931. I keep that phone on the 120 ohm jack, and the HD600 on the 0 ohm jack, on my HA-1, and go back and forth depending upon the music and the mood.

Aug 25, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 10
The 931s fit differently. They clamp less tightly on your head, and they have larger ear pads. Whereas the 600 cups your ears, the 931 encircles them. The 931 cord is coiled and shorter, so that restricts mobility a little, if you like to dance around or such. Kind of like with the sound comparison, they each fit differently, but are both comfortable.

Aug 25, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 10
I think Orpheus would be a perfect compliment to the 600's. It's airier, less bass, more detail, brighter. All the things you're looking for.

Aug 25, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 10
I agree with andrzepjw in saying that Grados are right for you because they are IMO undeniably typically brighter and more forward. They are not high impedence - but I thought the Corda drove low impedence cans well? I have yet to hear Beyers, so I am unable to comment about them.

However as far as Grado goes, my two favorites are the 325 and RS-1. I liked both when I auditioned them. Which you choose will most likely depend on (a) how much you would like to spend (b) preferences in type of sound- a.k.a. either a colder, brighter, edgier sound (SR325) or warmer, slightly more refined (IMO), and more bodied (RS-1) among other factors. I personally think you should audition some Grados, as this is the best way to hear what is right for your perferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back