Which head-amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD 598 and for all types of music?
Oct 3, 2015 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AudioSonicSound

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have Sennheiser HD 598 and I listen to all types of music, mostly from the 70's and 80's, heavy metal, rock, disco, synth-pop, orchestral...
I want to buy headphone amplifier + DAC in one device. It needs to have different inputs (optical, coaxial, XLR, RCA) so that I can connect my PC, CD and Blu-ray players. While browsing a bit around here, I have found two such devices: MARANTZ HD-DAC1 and SENNHEISER HDVD 800. Which one would you recommend? Maybe some third one of same capabilities, but not more expensive?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 3
I would say to buy the older model FiiO E17 (used off eBay)
not the newer E17K.
The older E17 comes with optical, the newer E17K does not.

Or if you really are looking to spend hundreds of dollars for a DAC/amp, get the Audio-GD NFB-15 ($320) or NFB-11 ($415)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

Usually it's better to spend more for the headphones, then you do for the DAC/amp.
Currently the HD598 are selling for only $150.

If your looking to improve audio quality, check out the ($500) Audio Technica ATH-W1000X (or W1000Z), currently those are my preferred headphones for music (plugged into my NFB-15).

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks PurpleAngel. I'm looking for a real component, similar to those two I mentioned. I like HD 598 very much, but headphones don't last forever. One day I'll have new, even better headphones. I don't plan on changing head-amp/DAC any time soon, so it doesn't matter if I get one now which is much more expansive than my current headphones. Also, I'm not buying it just for the ability to plug in headphones, I'm buying it also for the DAC, a good one, hopefully.
FiiO is very much not what I have in mind. Audio-GD is not really my cup of tea also... I'd go with Nagra if I had that kind of money. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back