Which HDTV over-the-air Antenna to buy?
Oct 24, 2006 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sjt78

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be ordering a Samsung HDTV (LNS4051D) sometime this week and I'm going to need an antenna to get over-the-air HD channels. I'm totally clueless which type or brand is good as far as antennae. I just want to get the local channels in HD to watch the occassional prime time shows and sports. Anyone buy one they found satisfactory? I live in the suburbs with a fair amount of trees, but no mountains, power lines, etc. to block the signal. Thanks.
-Steve

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Which antenna depends a bit on your situation. Are you in a house with an attic? If so, you can go through the trouble of installing an attic antenna that you can rotate via a remote control setup. Or, if you feel like paying someone to install a big antenna on your roof, you can get even better reception....Or....

You might be like me in an apartment or just low on cash. In which case, you'll be wanting a cheap-o indoor antenna. I can't review antennas that I have not used, but I use a zenith antenna (http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-ZHDTV1-.../dp/B00006FXR9) in my apartment building and have had very good results.

www.titantv.com will also help you find where the HD stations are in your area, and they also have an antenna recommendation system you might want to check out (although I ended up not following their recommendatin for an antenna that cost about $60 when I found the zenith for $15)

edit>> I'm told that you should avoid "amplified" antennas like the plague...they do nothing but introduce noise apparently.

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconroy
Which antenna depends a bit on your situation. Are you in a house with an attic? If so, you can go through the trouble of installing an attic antenna that you can rotate via a remote control setup. Or, if you feel like paying someone to install a big antenna on your roof, you can get even better reception....Or....

You might be like me in an apartment or just low on cash. In which case, you'll be wanting a cheap-o indoor antenna. I can't review antennas that I have not used, but I use a zenith antenna (http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-ZHDTV1-.../dp/B00006FXR9) in my apartment building and have had very good results.

Yep, I got the Zenith, too, and it works great!
The square shooter is supposed to be great, but in this area, I get by with the Zenith silver sensor with no problems at all.

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger
Yep, I got the Zenith, too, and it works great!
The square shooter is supposed to be great, but in this area, I get by with the Zenith silver sensor with no problems at all.

The silver sensor is actually sold under a couple of brands now, but as long as you know what you are getting... It is probably still the best starter antenna available. It's cheap enough you should get one for testing even if you eventually go bigger. I also have one, and it works very well as long as I put it somewhere high (to help with outdoor blockage from other buildings and such).

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjt78
I'm going to be ordering a Samsung HDTV (LNS4051D) sometime this week and I'm going to need an antenna to get over-the-air HD channels. I'm totally clueless which type or brand is good as far as antennae. I just want to get the local channels in HD to watch the occassional prime time shows and sports. Anyone buy one they found satisfactory? I live in the suburbs with a fair amount of trees, but no mountains, power lines, etc. to block the signal. Thanks.
-Steve

Any Antennae will do..I use my 10.00 RCA antennae & get great results.. I wouldn't spend over 30.00..

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 7
http://www.antennaweb.org

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back