Which has Better Sound Quality the Cowon Players or Sony Mp3 Walkmans?
Mar 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
Hello. I am seriously considering purchasing an IAudio 7 or D2 mainly because of their excellent sound quality. But I also heard good things about the Sony Walkmans.

Does Sony support FLAC on any of their Walkmans?

Also which do you prefer the Cowon sound or the sound of Sony? & Why?

Thank You All.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 17
I prefer sony for the bassy and wormer sound and got my new A826
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 17
I like my Sony's warmer, fuller sound for portable use, but I find it lacks just a tiny bit on details compared to my Aiwa PCDP. I haven't heard a Cowon myself, but based on what I've read, it's Sony for fun and Cowon for analytical listening.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 17
Okay i have a Cowon U3 & love the sound alot but it's almost dead (battery barely takes a charge) so i need to find a replacement. And that's where your input comes in since i only had experience with a Cowon. I like the sound of the U3 but I've heard "alot" of good things about the Sony Walkmans. And they do describe the Sony sound as "Warm."

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay i have a Cowon U3 & love the sound alot but it's almost dead (battery barely takes a charge) so i need to find a replacement. And that's where your input comes in since i only had experience with a Cowon. I like the sound of the U3 but I've heard "alot" of good things about the Sony Walkmans. And they do describe the Sony sound as "Warm."

From what I can remember the U3 sounded a little less cold than the d2. Plus the new S series don't sound as warm as other sonys. I think you would be very happy with say an s639, if you don't mind not having flac or ogg. I actually prefer the sony sound over the cowon sound, at least with the new models.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 17
Well, its all a personal taste. To my humble ears, D2 sounds too un-naturel and harsh while my A828 sounds much warmer and balanced on bass end. But both players are winners. Like I said its a matter of personal taste.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

why not just replace the battery if you're happy with the sound?

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 17
i owned a A806 and a S9.
sony is warmer, lush, soft, bassy.
cowon is bright, analytical, sharp, tremble+bass hammering.

if u are a casual listener, go for sony
if u are a sound cautious freak, go for cowon

both suit different listeners, both have their own traits.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 17
I have a Cowon D2 as well as a Sony S638. Both have excellent and detailed sound. If I should compare them to headphones I would day that the Cowon is a pair of balanced armature (ie. Ultimate Ears) with a lot of details but perhaps lacking a little bass and warmth. The Sony would be a pair of Sennheiser's with more warmth and bass. I find myself using the Sony most of the time (or a Sansa Clip actually). Don't get me wrong. I really like my D2 - I just like the Sony sound a little more. But then, I also really love the Sennheiser sound signature - and some people don't. I'd say that charlie0904's posting explains it all.

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 17
IMHO the Sony S639F has a wider stereo image and more detailed bass, mids and highs than the Cowon D2 has. Both tested with Sennheiser CX300 phones. i also find that my old iRiver iFP-590 sounds better than my Cowon D2.

Art

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 17
Another one of those "apple or oranges" questions
biggrin.gif

To answer the FLAC question, I don't think any of the Sony series support FLAC. Personally, I prefer the Cowon over the Sony because I like its UI better. There isn't too much a difference (not enough to clearly say one is better than the other) in sound quality for me.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 17
I have the Sony walkman S616 and the D2 and to me the D2 sounds way better.

The Sony is way to aggressive for my taste..it sounds like the eq is set all the way up all the way across the spectrum, it gets fatiguing to listen to long periods. So much that I don't even use it anymore and doubt I'll ever buy another Sony Mp3 player.

The D2 has more detail, more airiness, a more transparent sound signature and isn't harsh at all. I can easily listen to it for long periods without fatigue. I think the Cowons are for serious listeners.

With that said I love the Sony ui.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 17
I have the D2 and the S639F. The D2 supports flac for lossless. The sony only supports WAV for lossless. It also has gapless playback for WAV files only. I prefer the sony for the warmer sound and excellent stereo separation.

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 17
Sonys are warmer and fuller in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back