Which has a smoother (less fatiguing) high-end: Chord Mojo or iFi Micro iDSD Black Label?
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheEldestBoy

100+ Head-Fier
I listen with HD 600's.

I listen at relatively low volumes.

I'm quite sensitive to higher frequencies, sibilance, etc. I'm easily fatigued by anything too "bright".

I understand that listening to quality music files is an important first step in eliminating this issue.

I also understand that I could probably choose a headphone that is even less fatiguing than the HD 600's (the HD 650's, for example).

Regarding a dac/amp though, I'm looking at the Chord Mojo or the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, and I'm wondering which will be better for my needs?

Or maybe there's a 3rd option that I'm currently unaware of (the upcoming Fiio Q5 might suit me)...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 3
I listen with HD 600's.

I listen at relatively low volumes.

I'm quite sensitive to higher frequencies, sibilance, etc. I'm easily fatigued by anything too "bright".

I understand that listening to quality music files is an important first step in eliminating this issue.

I also understand that I could probably choose a headphone that is even less fatiguing than the HD 600's (the HD 650's, for example).

Regarding a dac/amp though, I'm looking at the Chord Mojo or the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, and I'm wondering which will be better for my needs?

Or maybe there's a 3rd option that I'm currently unaware of (the upcoming Fiio Q5 might suit me)...
I would say post this in either of the constantly updated threads for each Dac/amp but you would might get some ppl fanboying on their favorite choice. I have the Bl and have demoed the Mojo before choosing the BL. The BL has well known volume imbalance issues until the nob is around anyone from 9:00 to some ppl stating 11:00 on their devices. That might be an issue for you if you listen a low volumes. I find the imbalance to be ever so slight and the different gain switches and iem match switches help with that. The Mojo sounded fantastic, but had so much RF issues that it was a non-starter for me. It has a well documented buzzing noise issue with smartphones. I have used the Centrance dacportable and the BL with phones and had faint to no RF noise. Some have even stated RF noise with the Mojo on their desktop rigs as well. Hope this helps.

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 3
I would say post this in either of the constantly updated threads for each Dac/amp but you would might get some ppl fanboying on their favorite choice. I have the Bl and have demoed the Mojo before choosing the BL. The BL has well known volume imbalance issues until the nob is around anyone from 9:00 to some ppl stating 11:00 on their devices. That might be an issue for you if you listen a low volumes. I find the imbalance to be ever so slight and the different gain switches and iem match switches help with that. The Mojo sounded fantastic, but had so much RF issues that it was a non-starter for me. It has a well documented buzzing noise issue with smartphones. I have used the Centrance dacportable and the BL with phones and had faint to no RF noise. Some have even stated RF noise with the Mojo on their desktop rigs as well. Hope this helps.

I always pick the BL over the Mojo. Better SQ IMHO, more power, more features.
Channel imbalance isn't an issue in most cases. Even with something very sensitive like the Andromeda you have to push the volume high enough to be past it, assuming Eco power with IEMatch in Ultra Sensitive. Which by the way, means no hiss will be heard, which you can't have with the Mojo.

There's one reason to pick the Mojo: If a smaller form factor is essential. The BL is much bigger. That's about it. If that aspect isn't vital, then the choice towards the BL is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back