Which has a better headphone-out? 5G iPod vs. Sony NW-HD5, unamped.
Nov 14, 2005 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

carsncars

100+ Head-Fier
Just let me know your opinion-- using either's headphone jack, no amp.. and if you've got to know the type of headphones, let's say.. 16-24 ohm IEMs.

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 12
I am not sure about the G5 but iPods, in general, have a more powerful output compared to the HD5 (I assume this is also the case with the 5G).

However, it would be false to assume that automatically the iPod is "better" (what do you mean by "better", by the way?) because of the more powerful output; my experience lies with iPod 4G, iPod photo and iPod mini and, for my 19Ohm earphones, I prefer the HD5.

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Cnet..

In informal testing of the better-sounding MP3 players on the market, the HD5 consistently came out on top. It's a great-sounding player with a low hiss factor, a reasonable bass, crystal-clear highs, and an overall warm sound. The only downside is that it doesn't get as loud as some other players, such as the iPod.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Cnet..

In informal testing of the better-sounding MP3 players on the market, the HD5 consistently came out on top. It's a great-sounding player with a low hiss factor, a reasonable bass, crystal-clear highs, and an overall warm sound. The only downside is that it doesn't get as loud as some other players, such as the iPod.

Could you please tell me more about the "warm sound" of the hd5 cause this might be the player im looking for
basshead.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 12
the hd5 has a 'consumer' sound to it. it is bassy and sounds fun. the ipods sound more natural and neutral. both do not sound 'underpowered' to me, but the 5G has the clipping problems with music that is recorded too loud. i used er6i, e4c and ep630 with them.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 12
i have an nw-hd3, and that would be how i describe the sound. it rocks
biggrin.gif
i think by warm, he means its surrounding and makes you feel just emersed within the sound. correct me if i'm wrong, but thats how i feel about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 12
there were some articles a while ago claiming ipods had a bass falloff from their headphone out starting at 200 hz and leaving nothing trough under 50 hz on low impedance (<50 ohm?) phones.
Whatever the reason, I had an ipod mini and couldn't stand its cold flat sound on phones, which made me want to turn it off in minutes.
Switched to a Sony NW-HD1 and am completely satified with the sound. I can listen to it for hours without fatigue.

Nov 15, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm currently an HD5 user, and just got my G5 30G black today (while at work). Will post some comparisons later (of course, unamped for both as requested). I'm not much a fan of carrying an amp around, and I bet the line out sound wont be much different for both. I rarely listen to HD5 with eq off though. I swear the digital sound settings sound better than manipulating the 6-band eq (testing using atrac) on the HD5. So far I'm pretty satisfied with the EQed sound on the HD5, but stay tuned.

Nov 15, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskywalker
I'm currently an HD5 user, and just got my G5 30G black today (while at work). Will post some comparisons later (of course, unamped for both as requested). I'm not much a fan of carrying an amp around, and I bet the line out sound wont be much different for both. I rarely listen to HD5 with eq off though. I swear the digital sound settings sound better than manipulating the 6-band eq (testing using atrac) on the HD5. So far I'm pretty satisfied with the EQed sound on the HD5, but stay tuned.

ok thanks alot man im waiting paiently. I went to the apple store today but on all their 5g ipods didnt have anything i would listen to, so i could not juge the quality at all.

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for the tip. I did get to listen to both, but as they're in-store and are loaded with totally different files, I really can't come to a conclusion. I tend to like my music skewed towards a bassier, warm, spacious, round sound-- I have an HD5 and I am considering upgrading. Looking forward to the comparison, dskywalker. Carried it around with a PA2V2 for a while, but I just can't get used to having to carry it around as well.

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
Keep in mind that the music on the Apple Store iPods may be 128kbps AAC downloaded from the iTunes Music Store.

Thats the first thing i thought of when i heard the rash sound on my ex51... i doubt anyone know where i could test some ipods that have at least decent quality music stored on them in NYC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back