Which GS1000 do I have?
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
As soon as someone buys a "confirmed" pair of GS1000's that say "GS1000i" on the box and everything, can you post some detailed pictures? I just got my pair last Thursday (and am not worried, my local dealer is giving me a very nice upgrade path to either a GS1000i or a PS1000...with plenty of time to make the decision). The cable, once the two channels have combined is THICK. Definitely bigger than the 1/4" plug termination. The housings are a dark mahongany. The pictures on the Grado website show the cables out of the housings with a slight "spiral" pattern to them, which mine do not have.

Here's where I get very confused. I called Grado to ask them when the GS1000i would be available for shipment and the person I talked to said they've been shipping for two months. However, a person at Grado that I spoke with the other day said that the GS1000i 'phones will say "i" on the box (which mine does not).

The bottom line is that I'm relieved that I have plenty of time to let all the details sort themselves out before I make any decision. I'm really enjoying the sound out of the GS1000's that I have.

I'm just...curious.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 42
Do the wooden cups look brown or redish? I'd hope for the non "i" version, but I also think if the cable has a spiral pattern that it might be new.

The old RS-1 is better than the newer RS-1, so given Grado's track record, the GS-1000s non "i" version should increase in price, since it it now among the discontinued versions like the old RS-1.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 42
4wire.jpg

Four wires per ear. Confirmed.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimspoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4wire.jpg

Four wires per ear. Confirmed.

So I'm seeing two white, one red, one blue...correct?

Here's mine...not as close up, maybe not close enough to tell?

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 42
In yours I see 2x red, 2x blue and what might very well be flash reflecting off of the inner edge of the can.

Looks like you have GS1000i to me.

Edit:

On mine it's:

Left: 2x red, 2x blue
Right: 2x white, 2x blue

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 42
First, the cups are definitely a darker brown color. Also, when I was able to zoom in on the full-resolution photos I have (not near the 'phones right now) I definitely saw four conductors in one of the cans. When I get home I'll have to verify.

So, there's no telling what I have, really. I could have a non-i phone with i-cabling or whatever. I'll just sit back and listen and I think if I make any move in my alotted time period it will be to the PS1000.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimspoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In yours I see 2x red, 2x blue and what might very well be flash reflecting off of the inner edge of the can.

Looks like you have GS1000i to me.

Edit:

On mine it's:

Left: 2x red, 2x blue
Right: 2x white, 2x blue

I think mine are just like yours...looks like I have at least "i" cabling.

Thanks for the help!!

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 42
Mine showed up in a box without the "i" on the label, but it was special ordered from the Canadian supplier in Quebec before being dispatched to the dealer I purchased the from. So for sure it's not some old stock that's been sitting in a store for however long.

So I'm gonna go ahead and call it confirmed; GS1000i.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 42
I think it's the "i". I wouldn't worry either way. Just break them in for a few hundred hours at least and see what you think.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 42
I've been using mine since Friday and I'm absolutely in love.

I just need a proper amp. indydieselnut looks like he has a Woo Audio 6 SE comming his way (and I'm totally jealous of that) so I can't imagine anyone feeling that his particular setup is lacking!

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 42
Interesting...
I returned a pair of GS1000s in early December 2008 and recieved, what I thought then, was an odd pair back. They were very dark, had four wires per side, and the cable was as thick as the 1/4" connector.

Now, I wonder...
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 42
I bought my Grado GS1000 about two months ago and there the original version.I'm really not to concerned about the "i" version as I love my GS1000 as is.Also unless the PS1000 is radically different than the GS1000 I might pull the trigger on the Senn HD800 but in no hurry.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 42
Well, I'm home and it seems totally confirmed. Definitely 4-wire per cup, dark wood...I'm going to call them my GS1000i-guess headphones
icon10.gif

I am certainly going nuts waiting for my maxxed WA6SE w/Sophia (surely there's a shorter description for that amp!). The Gilmore Lite is serving nicely (VERY nicely) but I'm on pins-and-needles waiting for the last link.

Thanks to all for their input. Enjoy your 'phones!

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlosborne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting...
I returned a pair of GS1000s in early December 2008 and recieved, what I thought then, was an odd pair back. They were very dark, had four wires per side, and the cable was as thick as the 1/4" connector.

Now, I wonder...
bigsmile_face.gif

Very thick wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back