Which Grados?
Nov 10, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is like a sr225 appreciation page. I am going to have to agree with everyone's comments. The sr60 is a great entry level phone, don't get me wrong, but i think the sr225 is well worth the extra money. I have never heard the 125 but have never really heard great raves. I have borrowed the 325 from a friend of mine and was overwhelmed with how bright and sharp sounding the headphones were. I then went with the 225s and couldn't be happier.

As mentioned, these can be powered by your ipod and will sound fine.

I made the mistake of selling my SR225i headphones to "upgrade" to the SR325is headphones and was surprised to find it in actuality a downgrade. Way too hot and bright treble....made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

I am very happy with my RS1s, but in the Prestige series, nothing beats the SR225i headphones IMO.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 52
I have tested the whole prestige series. I think the 335's brightness is generally overstated. I do tend to favor a brighter sound though. They are by no means to much or harsh for my ears. I would say though that a 225 is the better pick for everyday portable use.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tribestros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm leaning towards the 225. I'm new to all this Grado/Senn/headphone amp stuff though. What is a good, small amp that's not expensive to hook to my ipod?

I built a CMOY for about $40 with the best parts I could find. It more than does the job for the 225s in a portable situation. The mini3 2ohm is great too and often under $100 in the used section. For home, I loved the Little Dot II and even the Creek OBH-11 has done the job.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #19 of 52
Well, thank you all for your input, after reading the overwhelming praise for the 225s I'll probably get those. Just need a cheap portable amp now.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #20 of 52
hey guys. im new here. i found this thread, which i was quite excited about! i am looking into buying a set grados. although i must admit i know absolutely nothing about headphones! but i am keen to learn more. i listen to all sorts of music from metal to folk to dance. can any of you give me any advice as to buying these headphones? are they worth the money? or can i get something better for my money? and will they suit the sort of music i like? i should also add that i will mainly be using them on my ipod, but may use them in the house from time to time as well.

thanks for your help!
atsmile.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #21 of 52
When you audition the SR60 vs the SR225, remember to put bowls on the SR60. Otherwise, the comparison will not be fair.

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #22 of 52
I have the MS1 and RS2, just so people know I'm not Grado bashing...

But these are terrible portable choices IMO. They're open, they'll leak sound in and out, and SQ differences between one and the other are moot, if you're on any public transport.

The 325 will suck particularly badly as a portable; too heavy.

Did I mention the cords are as thick as a snake and 6 foot long?

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you audition the SR60 vs the SR225, remember to put bowls on the SR60. Otherwise, the comparison will not be fair.

Good point. That change to the SR-60 is pretty dramatic, but costs $15 and makes its price a little closer to SR-80 territory.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the MS1 and RS2, just so people know I'm not Grado bashing...

But these are terrible portable choices IMO. They're open, they'll leak sound in and out, and SQ differences between one and the other are moot, if you're on any public transport.

The 325 will suck particularly badly as a portable; too heavy.

Did I mention the cords are as thick as a snake and 6 foot long?

very true, Grados aren't the best portable headphones, but they can be transported around with care.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I think this fact is overstated. Compare a set of unamped 225s to a set of unamped 60s and you will definitely still hear a marked difference.

I went the unamped route for a while, but eventually built a CMOY and then bought a mini3.

Bottom line: 225s work well unamped, but shine amped.

Yeah, in fact, it's way overstated. I had that mentality for a while but then I learned a little physics and guess what? Grados are all the same impedance (they all share the same driver design with different tweaks), so they present the same load on an amp circuit, thus changing the sound by the same amount. Certainly, a higher-quality source will be more heard with higher-end Grados, however, you can compare all Grados on an iPod if you really want to and you'll still hear the differences.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 52
With some help from a fellow forum member (baka1969) I myself am close to buying my first real phones, and the Grados is what I'm leaning towards. The 225 seems the popular choice, but is there another Grado that is slightly less bright and warmer? Something similar to the HF-2 perhaps? Is the RS1i less bright, more, or the same? I suppose it's down to 225 or RS1i, as long as the RS1i is not brighter/harsher. Or if I can find a very new/mint HF-2 (hard to..). Thoughts?

I plan to get the Musical Fidelity X-CAN V8P amp to drive it.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by urbo73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With some help from a fellow forum member (baka1969) I myself am close to buying my first real phones, and the Grados is what I'm leaning towards. The 225 seems the popular choice, but is there another Grado that is slightly less bright and warmer? Something similar to the HF-2 perhaps? Is the RS1i less bright, more, or the same? I suppose it's down to 225 or RS1i, as long as the RS1i is not brighter/harsher. Or if I can find a very new/mint HF-2 (hard to..). Thoughts?

I plan to get the Musical Fidelity X-CAN V8P amp to drive it.

Dude, this is about the easiest recommendation I have ever given. If you are deciding between the RS1s and SR225s, go with the RS1s.

I have owned both and while the SR225s were my favourite in the Prestige Series by far, they are NOWHERE close to the RS1s. While they do sound similar to each other, the details, timbre, attack, bass, and refined treble of the RS1s really dominate.

IMHO, the RS1s are the BEST rock headphones one can own. I have listened to the GS1000s and was very impressed, but to me they lacked that Grado sound and the PS1000s are more of the same (but better).

Not to mention in about 6 months you WILL be wondering, how do those RS1s sound, maybe I should have got them instead, maybe I'll have to listen to them, oh my god, I need them (I'm speaking from personal experience here).

So save your money in the long run and get the best rock cans out there!

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #28 of 52
You can't go wrong with the Alessandro MS-1i's. Best first Grado choice available, imho.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, this is about the easiest recommendation I have ever given. If you are deciding between the RS1s and SR225s, go with the RS1s.

I have owned both and while the SR225s were my favourite in the Prestige Series by far, they are NOWHERE close to the RS1s. While they do sound similar to each other, the details, timbre, attack, bass, and refined treble of the RS1s really dominate.

IMHO, the RS1s are the BEST rock headphones one can own. I have listened to the GS1000s and was very impressed, but to me they lacked that Grado sound and the PS1000s are more of the same (but better).

Not to mention in about 6 months you WILL be wondering, how do those RS1s sound, maybe I should have got them instead, maybe I'll have to listen to them, oh my god, I need them (I'm speaking from personal experience here).

So save your money in the long run and get the best rock cans out there!

Undoubtedly the RS1s SHOULD be better. But my only concern is harshness/brightness. The 325 is supposed to be a step up form the 225, yet everyone says it's brighter and hotter/harsher in the trebles, and a step down. My ears are very sensitive to that, so that's why I ask. You say the RS1s dominate, but how? Are they a tad warmer? Better than the 225 how would you describe them? Again, what is closest to the HF-2? Or what is the warmest/least bright of the upper-end Grados?

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by urbo73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Undoubtedly the RS1s SHOULD be better. But my only concern is harshness/brightness. The 325 is supposed to be a step up form the 225, yet everyone says it's brighter and hotter/harsher in the trebles, and a step down. My ears are very sensitive to that, so that's why I ask. You say the RS1s dominate, but how? Are they a tad warmer? Better than the 225 how would you describe them? Again, what is closest to the HF-2? Or what is the warmest/least bright of the upper-end Grados?

In my opinion, the SR325is is perched at the top of the Prestige series for a reason, and is a clear step up from the SR225i. You could easily find many others who hold the same view: Just ask the question in the SR325 appreciation threads.

But to answer your question, to me the RS1i is the warmest headphone in the current Grado Prestige and Reference line-ups (I can't speak for the historical versions). It sounds very nice, but is probably not worth $700 to me ($650 if you correct for the cable and adapter Grado packages it with). I could not justify keeping both it and the SR325is, and I was not getting rid of the latter. I may repurchase the RS1i one day, but I don't miss its actual sound too much right now. Of course I miss the status of owning the RS1i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back