Which grados hook of with a ipod?
Mar 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 8

Mate anything below the 125i comes terminated in 3.5mm (small end)

So SR60i and SR80i

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 8
I think you have another thread about grado...why not just ask there instead starting another? 

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 8
that, but to answer your question, the 60s and 80's come with the 3.5 mm headphone jack (small one) and everything including the 125i's comes with a bigger 1/4 inch one. An adapter can be easily bought at most electronic stores. I bought one at Radioshack for instance. But yeah. Try and just keep all of this in one thread. People here at headfi are super ridiculous nitpicky

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
that, but to answer your question, the 60s and 80's come with the 3.5 mm headphone jack (small one) and everything including the 125i's comes with a bigger 1/4 inch one. An adapter can be easily bought at most electronic stores. I bought one at Radioshack for instance. But yeah. Try and just keep all of this in one thread. People here at headfi are super ridiculous nitpicky

[size=10.0pt]Indeed adaptors can be readily found, however I strongly advise people to stay away from anything that looks like this for obvious reasons:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-3mm-Socket-3-5mm-Jack-Adapter-Converter-Plug-/280563570981?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingTools_Accessories_SM&hash=item4152e4592[/size]

[size=10.0pt]And opt for something that looks like this…[/size]
[size=10.0pt]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser-Cable-Adapter-1-4-1-8-3-5mm-fit-GRADO-/200623693595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb61a9f1b[/size]

[size=10.0pt]…or even better, this:[/size]
[size=10.0pt]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/643516-REG/Grado_MINI_ADAPTER_Mini_Adaptor_Cable.html[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Unless you’ve got a good soldiering iron and an equally good set of soldiering skills a replacement headphone socket including labour will cost you around the £40 mark.[/size]

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 8
why avoid the first one for obvious reasons? I used something like that for my 125i's and never had any problems. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
why avoid the first one for obvious reasons? I used something like that for my 125i's and never had any problems. 

[size=10.0pt]Well you may have gotten away with it FOR NOW, but time, probability and wear-and-tear is against you LOL!  . [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Let me begin my answer by stating that I was a poor, inattentive, school boy and I spent most of my time looking out the window during applied math class. However something must have stuck, because I remember levers, cantilevers, moments of rotation and other useless stuff.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The short answer to your question is: damage and poor electrical contact cause by leverage. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The not-so short answer is: The longer the lever the more torque that lever will exert on the axis of rotation for the same given force.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]In this case the axis of rotation (AOR) is your headphone socket and the lever length is the length of plug sticking out from your IPod (minus the cable).[/size]

thus:

[size=10.0pt]A standard right angled 3.5mm plug = very short lever[/size]
[size=10.0pt]A standard 3.5mm plug = short lever[/size]
[size=10.0pt]A standard 6.3mm plug = long lever[/size]
[size=10.0pt]A standard 6.3mm plug + 3.5 mm adaptor = VERY long lever.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]A standard 6.3mm plug + flexible 3.5 mm adaptor  = short lever[/size]

[size=10.0pt]So the obvious questions are:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Which type of plug would produce the greatest torque if a force (I.e impact, knock, pull, etc) was applied?[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Which type of plug would be more susceptible to being knocked by the virtue of being ‘more visible’ to the environment?[/size]

[size=10.0pt]If you’re the kind of person who likes to keep their IPod in their pocket, then what kind [/size]

[size=10.0pt]What kind of 6.3mm plug adaptor would be preferable for use on an IPod?[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I’m no [/size]mathematician[size=10.0pt] but IIRC the math is:[/size]

Torque =Force * Distance from AOR

I hope this answers your question.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 8
.......yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back