Which Grados? $200 Budget
Feb 19, 2009 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NeonPirateKing

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi Members, I've been looking around but I still can't decide which grados headphones under 200 dollars I'd like to get. Is there a significant difference between the various models? Anyways, please tell me your personal experience/ opinions/ pros and cons And which one i should get.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonPirateKing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Head-fi Members, I've been looking around but I still can't decide which grados headphones under 200 dollars I'd like to get. Is there a significant difference between the various models? Anyways, please tell me your personal experience/ opinions/ pros and cons And which one i should get.

Your choices pretty much come down to SR60, 80, igrado and The Alessandros, which should all share the same general sound signature. If looks and portability is a concern, then igrado does the job well enough for the cheapest price. Otherwise, it's mainly circumaural/supraaural preference between 60, 80, MS1, etc., latter two have better base output than 60 but bass was never the grado forte so don't expect overly much.

Oh, the 125 isn't generally liked around here, and is reported not to give you good value for the money, so be wary of that. In addition, if you can find 225's for less than $200, then that is usually regarded as the best price/performance Grado.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Careful about the iGrados. The fit can be difficult for people with big heads (like me). They can be adapted somewhat. Otherwise, I liked them. I think I read somewhere that they are the same as the SR60's. I have both and they sounded the same to me. I also have the SR225. While I haven't done a/b testing, I don't think there is that great of a difference. I recently resurrected my SR60's for listening at the office and was pleasantly surprised at how good the sound was after not using them for over a year.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 11
The SR225s were my first audiophile headphone. There is some disagreement but they are truly a great value for about $200. They are especially good for rock, classic rock and metal. They can be run straight out of an MP3 player, computer or headamp.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR225s were my first audiophile headphone. There is some disagreement but they are truly a great value for about $200. They are especially good for rock, classic rock and metal. They can be run straight out of an MP3 player, computer or headamp.

Christ, you jumped in at a high pricepoint!

My next pair of Grados are going to be SR225s. I need to listen to them before I drop $200 though.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 11
The only reason i gave away my SR125's (aren't i kind!) is because of the discomfort, this was before i came here and found out about the Sennheiser HD414 ear pad mod. I tried the "bending headband" mod, but the ear pads feel like Brillo pads.

as for SQ, no real problems, I just wanted more bass. The Grado bass is taunt, but I wanted depth.

Now i only have the iGrado's, and i recently got my hands on a pair of SR60 again.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 11
SR60s, you really can't go wrong with those for $70 new.

I find them more comfortable than all the other models because they come standard with Grado-S pads. I actually use the SR60's pads on my SR325i's. In terms of significance in sound improvement, it's hard to say.... going from $70 to $200 headphones, you won't notice a significant improvement because of diminishing returns. Some of my friends actually thought that the SR60s sounded better than the SR325i's when they tried mine.

I prefer my SR325i's slightly over the SR60's because the 325i's have a slightly improved soundstage and instrument separation. The SR60s are a bit warmer sounding though, which others enjoy too. When it comes down to it, you may enjoy the SR60s more than the more expensive Grados. You will not feel remorse from purchasing the SR60's (or SR80s which I have not tried) because of their fantastic bang for buck.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 11
Hooran has a great point. The SR family all have a similar sound signature, and improve to varying degrees by going up the line. I am still amazed at my SR60s. The 325is improve on them to me, and the RS1s take it up a few notches further, but starting with the SR60s gives you a strong sense of the rest of the line.

Get the SR60s, save some money, and enjoy a real reference in budget audiophile sound.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 11
My vote goes to a used sr60 and the new beresford (which I haven't heard). Even the old one which i just sold for like 120 shipped with the sr60 will give you a reasonable source from the computer/cd player as well.

edit: The hype about the Beresford company is true, he pretty much sucks but the product is very good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back