Which Grado should I buy to best evaluate the Grado sound?
Dec 24, 2006 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Artguy

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently using the AKG701's with the Heed Canamp with really fine results listening to Jazz, Female and Male vocalists, Acoustic guitar and Concert and New Age music with the 701's. I am looking for more authority in the bass listening at low volume levels to Rock and some Jazz and think the Grados might do the trick as a change from my 701's.

I need some help with a "Grado Taste Test." Some you Grado owners out there probably either had the luxury of being able to try before you buy at a meet or store, or had a friends Grado to demo before you laid down the big bucks on your current Grado model of choice.

So my question is which of the Grado line SR60, SR80, SR125, SR 225, or SR325i would provide the best preview of the signature Grado sound without having to shell out too much cash? For instance it would be great if I could get a pretty good idea of the Grado presentation under $100, for either the SR60 or the SR80. I am kind of reluctant to spend more than that but am open to your opinions.

I realize that the soundstage/presentation will change as I go up the line and finally include the RS2 and RS1 and maybe even the RS1000. But which of these lesser cans will help me most to decide which high-end Grado can to buy later on? Please, only experienced Grado owners reply on this one, as I want to have opinions based on personal observation...
Thanks in advance...

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 28
The popular consensus will be SR60. And I won't deny that it'll give you pretty much "The Grado Sound" for $55, and it's awesome.

But I'd REALLY be tempted to do one of two things:

(1) Nickel/Quarter Mod the SR60 if you get them
(2) Spend $20 more and get the SR80

When I moved from the SR60 to the SR225, the improved clarity, detail, and resolution were instantly apparent - a night-and-day difference. But when I compared SR225 vs. SR60 with Bowls, the difference was still large but the SR60 were enormously improved. Nickel-Modding the SR60 had a similar (though not quite as profound) effect. The SR60 with Bowls (i.e. the SR-80) or Modded Comfies is very representative, in my opinion, of the Grado Sound. I've heard the SR-60, MS-1, SR-225, and SR-325i, and I'd say the 60 is very representative of the sound.

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 28
I appreciate the reply... but what is the nickel modding or the Modded comfies you mention? Also, what is a SR60 with bowls? Sorry for all the questions, but I dont know what you mean, so thanks again for the patient reply.

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 28
i agree, t5he SR60's are a great place to start.

i love my recabled 325i's, something about the metal cups makes brass instruments shine, i mean really... im a trumpet player and it sounds real!

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 28
SR125 is a great place to start hurting your ears.
tongue.gif

*flame suit / on*

To be fair, acoustic guitar on Grados is just amazing... I dig that a lot. But the shrill highs (especially pronouced on the 125) just isn't my cup of tea.

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 28
What am I looking at? Replaceable foam earcushions? If so, where can I buy them? A little more explanation would help here... a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case, the picture conveyed a thousand questions instead. Can you throw me a bone, and just tell me what the nickel, quarter mod is and what the comfies are?
thanks in advance...

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What am I looking at? Replaceable foam earcushions? If so, where can I buy them? A little more explanation would help here... a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case, the picture conveyed a thousand questions instead. Can you throw me a bone, and just tell me what the nickel, quarter mod is and what the comfies are?
thanks in advance...

the SR60's and Alessandro MS1(another Grado) come stock wih the Comfy Ear Pad. SR80's and up to the RS1 come stock with Bowl Pads. most people mod the Comfy by cutting a hole in them the size of a Nickel or Quarter to open up the sound that they feel the solid stock cushion suppresses. that is what has been done to the stock Comfy in the photo above.

many hate the Grado Bowl Pad and will replace whatever Grado they own with the Comfy. some will buy the Bowl Pad to put on their SR60's or MS1's. there is also an older Grado Pad called the Flat that many people praise. they can all be bought in Headphone Accessories at Todd's http://www.ttvj.com/ you should link through to his site at the front page of Head-Fi.org. do sign up at TTVJ! for first time buyers at TTJV will get a $10 discount.

here are 3 more Grado's to look at. They are the Alessandro line.
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

the SR60's is probably the most reviewed and praised Grado just because of it's $60 price point getting into quality headphones. I have had the SR80's for over a year now. at $100 for the SR80's many will tell you to start here. I'm now looking to upgrade to the SR225's or Alessandro MS2's. as much as I like the SR80's I wish my first stop in the Grado line had been the SR225's.

since you already own the AKG 701 and a Heed CanAmp I would start much higher in the Grado line for you might be dissapointed starting with a lower Grado. if I was you I would be looking at the Grado SR225's, SR325i if not also the RS2's and the Alessandro MS2's. all of these are suppose to be good for Rock with the later three bringing out the most detail, fullness and soundstage. the SR225 is considered the most forgiving of the four and the most popular being the sweet spot in the Grado line, the MS2 handles more genre of music and the 325i is considered the brightest.

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

thanks in advance...

the nickel mod involves taking a nickel, placing it in the middle of the ear cushions and cutting around the nickel, making a nickel-sized hole

for the quarter mod...well you get the idea

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

A little more explanation would help here... a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case, the picture conveyed a thousand questions instead.

I agree, they left you hanging.

The "comfies" are the street name for the pads that come stock with the Grado SR60. Personally, I find them anything but comfortable.

The nickel mod is simply cutting a nickel-sized hole in the middle of the pad (the hole you can see in the beautiful but unexplained photo above). Again, I find that doesn't do anything but hurt the ears even more.

I prefer the "flat pads" that Todd the Vinyl Junkie sells. But since they are $30 you should probably just start with the SR60 and the included "comfies", see how it suits you for a while, and then think about changing/modifying the pads. If you like the sound, you might want to skip up a few notches in the line (at least to the SR-125 or 225).

Hope this helps.

--Chris

Dec 24, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 28
I think being used to K701 the SR60 will be less than satisfying.
SR225 would probably be more of a taste of what Grado can sound like.
A nice complement for your K701 could also be Alessandro MS2i.

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think being used to K701 the SR60 will be less than satisfying.
SR225 would probably be more of a taste of what Grado can sound like.
A nice complement for your K701 could also be Alessandro MS2i.

He didn't say he wanted a headphone on par with his existing cans, he just wanted to know what the Grado Sound was like before shelling out big cash for a can on the level of the SR-225 or higher. The SR-60 are incredible cans, but they ARE $60 cans, and they don't perform like $300 cans. I think most people who listen to them know and can respect that. They ARE a good representative of the "Grado Sound", however.

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He didn't say he wanted a headphone on par with his existing cans, he just wanted to know what the Grado Sound was like before shelling out big cash for a can on the level of the SR-225 or higher. The SR-60 are incredible cans, but they ARE $60 cans, and they don't perform like $300 cans. I think most people who listen to them know and can respect that. They ARE a good representative of the "Grado Sound", however.

Yes, you are right about that. I merely wanted to point out that the SR60 are not in the same league as what he is used to. That could lead to a an undeservedly disappointing experience. If he buys SR225 there is, I think, a far better chance that he can appreciate what Grado has to offer. It won't be difficult to sell the 225 and upgrade to Alessandro MS2i or even RS2 or RS1.

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 28
Hello,

I have owned the Grado 80's and now use the Grado 225's with the comfy pads. I wear glasses so the comfy's are better for me. I believe the 225's would be on relative par to the 701's that you currently own. I don't think you would be satisfied...or perhaps wanting if you settled for a lower headphone in the Grado line. Just my two cents. Often you can find the 225's for about $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back