Which Grado pair?
Mar 26, 2006 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

aud1ophile

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I've decided to go with the Sennheiser HD 555s for my birthday, as I see i'm not going to get an amp or get into this hobby fully. However, saving $100 instead of getting the 580s and an amp, i'm saving up for a pair of Grado cans. I wanted to know if I should go for the SR-60s for $60 later on, MS-1s for $100, or just save up for a pair less than $200? thanks in advance.

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 11
The MS-1s are one of the best values in the Grado pile. Whatever you do, consider checking out the used stuff here.

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 11
MS-1s (and all Alessandro headphones for that matter) are like the 'mild' version of Grados. They still have the impact and highs but not quite as harsh as the regular Grado line. I had a pair of SR60s that I eventually sold off because the highs (especially from cymbals) were just killing my ears. Some people can take the harshness (and even like it) but I wasn't one of them. I then tried out the MS-1s and loved them. They had everything I loved about the SR60s but with the harsh highs tamed a bit and some stronger bass. To me they're like the 'refined' Grado.

The MS-1s are probably the highest level of Grado headphone that is suitable without an amp. I wouldn't use SR-225s or HF-1s without an amp.

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 11
I guess I'm the lone dissenter here.
Yeah, MS-1s are great, no doubt. More polite than your standard Grado. But, the SR-225s are the sweet spot in the Grado line to me. It only gets a little better than the 225, but the 225 is a lot better than the MS-1.
If you're even thinking of stretching it to $200, go with the SR-225.

Mar 26, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Having heard the cans in discussion, I'd recommend MS-1's, provided that you really are not going to be getting an amp for them. However, with a decent amp, 225's will sound better and they do scale better than the other two models.

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 11
nah, I was going for the 580s before, then realize I don't want to get into the hobby and waste too much money... like the people I see here with their HE90s and K1000s. But anyways, how does the MS-1s deal with movies? And the bass for hip hop? It's not like an airy, dry sound is it? Thanks in advance.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aud1ophile
nah, I was going for the 580s before, then realize I don't want to get into the hobby and waste too much money... like the people I see here with their HE90s and K1000s. But anyways, how does the MS-1s deal with movies? And the bass for hip hop? It's not like an airy, dry sound is it? Thanks in advance.

Not good with movies, no soundstage. No Grado has good soundstage. The bass is just okay, not great. It's just not low enough and doesn't have a lot of body.
Now that's all relative, mind you. Overall the MS1s are very nice. But there's a reason they are at that price point.

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 11
yeah, I get you. But just to make sure, it does better than the HD 555s in all genres except for classical, correct? I'm thinking about which would suit me more, either the MS-1s (which are aimed toward music) or the 555s (which can help with movies and gaming).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back