Which Grado for me?
Jul 15, 2001 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Wow, you use the SR-100 more than the RS-1? Didn't you pay under $100 for those?

dhwilkin, it is kinda strange. Yes, I paid $50 shipped for the SR-100s. There's a few reasons why I use them more, and its not necessarily because they sound better, because they don't. First of all, they're hanging on the wall (easy to reach) while the RS-1s are in the box. Secondly, they are extremely non-fatiguing and have a similar sonic character to the HP-1s, which I just love, the midrange in particular is very similar. And thirdly, as the weather is nice now, a lot of my listening is portable and I don't want to bang up the RS-1s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2001 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 21
...on this subject.

I've had the RA-1 amp for a while and had used it extensively with my 225s.

I also now just upgrado'd from the 225s to the RS-1s. I must say that since I've had my RS-1s (to answer your "mid-grade components" concern), I've been quite intent upon getting a better source (I am using the RA-1/RS-1 on my crap 1990 JVC boombox with some nicer Tara Labs interconnects...not too bad, but when I listen to the same discs on my Dad's DVD-A player, there is a huge, huge, huge difference...you will probably end up wanting desperately to get enough cash to splash out on better components). This, naturally, can either be a blessing or a curse.

All I'm going to say (and you probably already know this) is that it is all a very slippery slope.

I must say that, overall, I am far more pleased with the RS-1s than I was with the 225s. The 225s were nice for sure, but now I feel like a sort of electronic veil has been lifted and even the trash from my trash source has much more realism and life and believability.

Additionally, the soundstaging with the RS-1s is really, really nice and I suspect it will get far better once I get a nicer playback unit and some better interconnects. I was just listening to Stevie Wonder do Village Ghetto Land and Stevie was right there in front of me. Just great and something that was there but not nearly as pronounced, natural and believeable on the 225s.

IMO, if you have to have one pair (if you cannot afford to go out collecting multiple pairs to fall in love with their respective beauties and quirks), get the RS-1s. They are *far* more comfortable, solid and the general feeling difference between the SR series and the RS-1s is like the difference between using a ceramic tile-covered bathroom and a marble-covered bathroom. It's a pleasant difference.

If you look at my "Totally Satisfied" post on the "For Sale" forum, you'll find the e-mail addy of a nice dealer who will sell you new RS-1s for $500, including postage!

Hope this helps.

- Matt

Jul 15, 2001 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

All I'm going to say (and you probably already know this) is that it is all a very slippery slope.

Truer words were never spoken, Matt.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

IMO, if you have to have one pair (if you cannot afford to go out collecting multiple pairs to fall in love with their respective beauties and quirks), get the RS-1s.

Agreed!
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 21
It is a slippery slope!!! I was originally looking for good headphones, thinking they would be about $100. I did a Google search to try to get some info. I found Headwize and Headroom.
Based on what I read on those 2 sites I bought my first Grados - the SR-60's. I was absolutely stunned by the sound! Now I want more expensive Grados, a headphone amp - and yes, I'll probably end up getting higher quality stereo equipment. It is an addiction as well as a slippery slope.

Jul 16, 2001 at 3:50 AM Post #20 of 21
...is that we sit here yacking about how positively org*smic this or that is and of course nothing is ever going to perfectly live up to that. We get p*ssed and then go out and, with much anger and indignation, slam down another bundle of cash on our local hi-fi shop's checkout counter, nodding our heads jauntily, defiantly as we trot away with the next-and-hopefully-last block for our yellow brick road. Again, with the visions of aural bliss and world-of-the-perfect-forms transportation planted firmly as "the thing we want," we are disappointed at this or that.

Maybe we should all just shut it!

- Matt

Jul 16, 2001 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 21
Well you know, the RS-1s are about $400 more than the 325s...for that much they SHOULD be better.

The treble on the 325s can be a bit harsh...but thats what my EQ is for, right? Grado headphones are already colored a great deal, so tweaking the EQ a bit really doesn't hurt.

Sure, I'd like a pair of RS-1s, but I don't have $700. Period.

Besides, people already think I'm insane for spending $300 on headphones. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back