which grado for me?
Feb 27, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer your question:

Uh, I don't think alternative is a genre. Generally, the Grados sound the best for anything that needs to be fast, aggressive and exciting. However, anything that demands soundstage or a more mellow presentation will sound lacking on the Grados, and that includes some types of rock (like Pink Floyd). If you are looking for something all rounded the Grados are not for you.

I had a few friends who owns Grados and the breaking at the Y connector is a common complain. Nothing that recabling cannot solve.

Sit on ears, and yes many people are not happy about the Grados comfort, but many people are happy with the comfort... which is why trying out the Grados is very important.

If you are looking for the best unamped upper middle range headphone, I'll point you in the direction of the AD700. It will probably suit you more than the Grados.

I have to agree with most of this. my thoughts:

Grados are definitely better suited for faster music, but one thing I would disagree with is that they lack on slower music. sure they arent quite as enjoyable with pink floyd as they are with slayer, but they still do pink floyd amazing. All-round phones is not something I would call them for sure though. If you want an all-around phone, IMO the AD700 is one of if not the best bang for your buck if you arent going to use an amp.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree with most of this. my thoughts:

Grados are definitely better suited for faster music, but one thing I would disagree with is that they lack on slower music. sure they arent quite as enjoyable with pink floyd as they are with slayer, but they still do pink floyd amazing. All-round phones is not something I would call them for sure though. If you want an all-around phone, IMO the AD700 is one of if not the best bang for your buck if you arent going to use an amp.

yeah i was told to go for the 900Ti instead of the 700 apparently ive not tried either of em tho.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #18 of 28
You gotta be careful with the AudioTechnicas. There are two different series. One is the A Series, for example A900, and the other is the AD series, such as AD900. The A series are closed back and the AD are open-backed. I've heard they have drastically different sound signatures, and from what I see, the AD seems to be preferred for the A series. The AD700 is $100 from amazon. I don't know if they will ship to your location though. Might as well give it a try. I also believe there is some company that will buy a USA product for you, charge you a fee on top of it and ship it to you. I'll let you know when I find it.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You gotta be careful with the AudioTechnicas. There are two different series. One is the A Series, for example A900, and the other is the AD series, such as AD900. The A series are closed back and the AD are open-backed. I've heard they have drastically different sound signatures, and from what I see, the AD seems to be preferred for the A series. The AD700 is $100 from amazon. I don't know if they will ship to your location though. Might as well give it a try. I also believe there is some company that will buy a USA product for you, charge you a fee on top of it and ship it to you. I'll let you know when I find it.

yeah precisely, very annoying with these different models. I was told to try out vintage stax as well..so im confused if i shud save up for that..i can get a 3050 system for about 1450 AUD...but ive not tried staxens.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #20 of 28
Rather than spending it all on headphones, try spending some on a soundcard or DAC instead. An amp would be welcome as an addition, but not as a substitute.

My D2 Boa adds some degree of realism that I believe no upgrade in headphones can provide. Because really, what a headphone does is translate an analog signal into sounds. If the analog signal is crappy, how good can your headphones sound?

As to your questions:
- The negative aspects of Grados are comfort (can be very easily gotten around to, though), isolation, bass extension (On the lower models, that is. Never heard the higher ones.), and soundstage. How that translates to each genre of music is subjective.
- They're made of plastic, and the steel rods can be easily detached when you accidentally yank on the cables (for example). I have no idea on how solidly they're truly built, though. It's not like I bash my Grados regularly
wink.gif

- Sit over the ears
- Re: the problem with PX100, that depends on what is causing the problem. Just because one type of headphones (which happens to be supraaural) hurts you, doesn't mean all supraaural headphones will hurt you. But I'm sure you knew this
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #21 of 28
After getting the Grado SR80, I can definitely recommend these to you. I'm loving them so far. They have a very engaging and forward sound. Strings sound absolutely amazing on these. They do slow songs decently... Not too much of my favorite with these, but with more upscale pieces, they are amazing. When you first hear an electric guitar out of these you'll know what I mean.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

After getting the Grado SR80, I can definitely recommend these to you. I'm loving them so far. They have a very engaging and forward sound. Strings sound absolutely amazing on these. They do slow songs decently... Not too much of my favorite with these, but with more upscale pieces, they are amazing. When you first hear an electric guitar out of these you'll know what I mean.

how do they compare to say...the PX100?. ive heard those a lot and i like their sound...hows the bass on them?

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #23 of 28
I've never tried the PX100s. I find the bass quite enjoyable. If you do swing for a Grado, I would say to go for the SR225s. I've heard they were the 'sweet spot' in Grado. The leap from the SR60 and SR80 is larger than the leap from the SR225 to the RS1. The SR325 is supposedly the shrill sounding one and isn't usually recommended as the SR225.

I have the HD600s and I prefer the bass on these to the 600s. I'll explain why when I get home. Currently at work.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

I've never tried the PX100s. I find the bass quite enjoyable. If you do swing for a Grado, I would say to go for the SR225s. I've heard they were the 'sweet spot' in Grado. The leap from the SR60 and SR80 is larger than the leap from the SR225 to the RS1. The SR325 is supposedly the shrill sounding one and isn't usually recommended as the SR225.

I have the HD600s and I prefer the bass on these to the 600s. I'll explain why when I get home. Currently at work.

sure =) sounds good thanks for the impressions.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #25 of 28
The bass on the Grado SR80 is more like
BBBBmmmmmm BBbmmmm

On the Sennheiser HD600, it's more like
BRrrrn Brrrrn

It's a lot more controlled on the Sennheiser, meaning it doesn't linger, which is what I like in bass. In more 'refined' listening, the Sennheisers more reigned in bass might be better, but I like when the bass stretches out. It's played more as a deep note on the Sennheiser, but on the Grado, it has more of that bass hum feeling.

The Sennheisers do better classical, especially pianos. They are for more laid back, refined, and relaxed listening. If you're more into the pop, rock, and rap, I think you'll enjoy the Grado better, since its more upfront.

One area where the Senns definitely have the Grado beat is in comfort though. A good all-arounder I hear about is the Denons, which have an emphasized bass, if that's what you're into. I never heard them, but I have a pair of D7000s on the way, but I dont' know when they'll be here, so I don't know if you're willing to wait for those impressions.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

The bass on the Grado SR80 is more like
BBBBmmmmmm BBbmmmm

On the Sennheiser HD600, it's more like
BRrrrn Brrrrn

It's a lot more controlled on the Sennheiser, meaning it doesn't linger, which is what I like in bass. In more 'refined' listening, the Sennheisers more reigned in bass might be better, but I like when the bass stretches out. It's played more as a deep note on the Sennheiser, but on the Grado, it has more of that bass hum feeling.

The Sennheisers do better classical, especially pianos. They are for more laid back, refined, and relaxed listening. If you're more into the pop, rock, and rap, I think you'll enjoy the Grado better, since its more upfront.

One area where the Senns definitely have the Grado beat is in comfort though. A good all-arounder I hear about is the Denons, which have an emphasized bass, if that's what you're into. I never heard them, but I have a pair of D7000s on the way, but I dont' know when they'll be here, so I don't know if you're willing to wait for those impressions.

haha thats ok take your time..im not in any hurry to get headphones im still waiting for a bonus from the aussie govt. we all get 900 bux as part of the stimulus plan which comes out in april..im not a 100% sure i qualify yet..but im pretty sure i do...they said student..so yeah..that will mean it shud be good..im thinking to go for the Grado 225s, HD600s and perhaps a decent amp, and maybe in the future i could either go denons or Stax...ive tried denon 2000s before and i loved em..the bass was good..a lil much but that was ok. i guess u need several pairs if u listen to a lot of varied genres, thats what im deducing outa all the opinions im getting, best = get a few and listen to the genre they suit.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #28 of 28
zantetsuken;5466217 said:
hi so im in the market for a grado, since i hear theyre the best unamped upper middle range headphones. now my questions are

- i listen to music of a wide variety of genre
- artists from coldplay thro linkin park to katie melua to a bit of 2pac
- budget is about 500 AUD
- source is a computer flac->foobar->standard 3.5mm jack->phones
-may also be used for portable music but is not necessary

- which grado shud i go for?

these are some of the prices in AUD

SR 80i - $180
SR 125i - $280
SR 225i -$380
SR 325is - $500

some of my questions are

- ive never heard or seen grados, but i hear theyre very good for rock which i listen to somewhat..but how do they fare against other genres? like alternative, rnb, soul, etc.
-do they break easy?..
-also are they sit over the ears..or completely cover them?
-i get painful ears sometimes..with headphones like the PX100..which sit over my ears..would this cause problems as well?
- i have so many questions since im buying online and am unable to try any of them before i buy

lastly, if for the price you can show me a better headphone (doesnt have to be grado)..be my guest! =).

Go for the AKG K701, Deep, smooth dynamic sounding. But if you like bright and hard kicking sound, then the Grado is up your street then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back