which gaming sound card?
Oct 14, 2002 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Syphon

New Head-Fier
this is for my PC and mostly intended for gaming (i have a system for music
smily_headphones1.gif
)

anyway, the phones are DT531s and i'm looking for the *best* (money is not an issue really) between the santa cruz and the audigy DE (not sure what u guys call this one - but this is what it is called here...no break-out box)

gaming.. EAX, A3D support etc.

TIA

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 9
personally, i do not like creative, mostly for their faulty advertisements (24 bit).
if you were asking for anything music or mp3 related, i would take the turtle beach any day of the week.
beautiful sound from it, definately one of my favorite sound cards
smily_headphones1.gif

however, if you really want a soundcard dedicated specifically for games with EAX support, then im afraid you should go with the Audigy(cant believe i said that
smily_headphones1.gif
). If EAX is your thing, go for the Audigy. But anything music related at all id say the Turtle Beach.

Oct 14, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 9
honestly, as much as i hate to do it, go with soundblaster. They are compatable with every game you could imagine.

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 9
But you must weigh the strength of superlative 3d positioning into the equation also, which the Santa Cruz has, and results in a more enjoyable gaming experience than the repetitive static reverb noise, otherwise known as EAX.

Oct 15, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
But you must weigh the strength of superlative 3d positioning into the equation also, which the Santa Cruz has, and results in a more enjoyable gaming experience than the repetitive static reverb noise, otherwise known as EAX.

i understand
smily_headphones1.gif

the prices for both are very comparable...is it worth waiting for audigy 2?

also, both cards wouldn't have a problem powering my headphones?

Oct 23, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Personally, I would go with the Game Theater XP, which is similar to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz(same chip inside), but with slightly better performance, slightly less line noise, and a the best-quality breakout box you will find in the consumer market(which includes 7.1 sound and a usb hub)

Edit: It's $75 at Best Buy clearance, or $99 at BB if not on clearance.

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 9
I would get the audigy 2. I have nothing but good things to say about my Audigy Platinum and im sure this new one is going to be far better. I have not had any incompatabilities with software or other hardware and it sounds great. I got the Platinum because i wanted to run optical from my PC to my A/V receiver in order to keep sound as good as possible since i use my PC as a jukebox often.

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Personally, I would go with the Game Theater XP, which is similar to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz(same chip inside), but with slightly better performance, slightly less line noise

Untrue, and this isn't a matter of personal preference. The GTXP has inferior opamps in the output stage and lower S/N ratio due to the external components picking up EMI/RFI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back