Which full-sized (Or even IEMs for that matter) are similar to the RE-400?
Feb 22, 2014 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kiikasi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in love with the transparent, airy, and natural sound of the RE-400s, so I am naturally eager to up the ante and get something high-end that can give me the same euphoric lift from the way these present the vocals. I own the Sennheiser IE800s and not even those do it the same way for me! There is just something about the RE-400s that sounds so natural, quick, and dynamic that keeps me coming back (Seriously, when has a snare ever sounded so snappy?).

P.S. I am aware of the RE-600 and I already own the HE-400 and HE-500, so please give suggestions for non-hifiman products!

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 5
AHAHAHAHAHAHA-
just kidding

I've heard RE400.  Closest things to it might be K701, K601, or DT880-600.  But ultimately I don't think you will find anything too close to it in sound among full-sized headphones.
You don't find your Beyers "euphorically lifting"?  T50p is even more so than the other Beyers I've tried or own, and I'm hoping T90 will be like T50p in that aspect as it is also using Tesla drivers.  I'll find out soon.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 5
I have modded T70s (Cable mod and clamp mod along with leather pads) and the midrange on them is beautiful enough to bring a tear to the eye, you are right. My T5ps are not as euphoric, but they are more technical and revealing. My DT1350s and DT770 PROs aren't liked quite as much by me, but the treble on the 1350s is sweet like cotton candy :) What I'm talking about here is just that I want more 16-20khz presence to give more air to the sound around instruments and voices in particular. It's hard to convey exactly what I mean, but I can just say that the RE-400 signature has the most and the HE-400 close behind it. Beyers tend to emphasize 9-12khz with a peak at 10khz, so the air in the signature tends to be overshadowed. I have the Q701 and the treble on those is kind of weird and not what I'm looking for, to be honest. It's all about treble extension and flatness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back