Which Full Sized Open Headphone?
Nov 21, 2009 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ben7337

100+ Head-Fier
I've been researching the best headphone and amplifier to get for the past few weeks now, and was set on the Senn HD 595's, after deciding it would be better to get them than the 555's. I then began looking at portable amplifiers to use with my ipod touch 2g, through a line out of course, and I always convert my flac files to alac, so my source should be good and my amp should work fine, though I am still waiting on skylab's review to hear about if the D4 is really the way to go for an amp. Anyway, the important thing is that I recently was hearing that the 595's don't really benefit at all from an amp, and this really made me reconsider, as I have slowly been upping my budget to finally spending over $200 on an amplifier, not to mention the cost of batteries and a charger and LOD for said amp. Therefore I have decided to take a second look and was wondering what people could recommend in the open full sized headphones category. I know that I want something comfy, that can handle, rock/metal well, and which thrives on creating clear acoustic guitar presentation as well as good clear vocals, as best as possible with the recording. It should also handle techno-like music well as I listen to a lot of japanese stuff. I have looked at Grado, Audio Technica, Alessandro, Ultrasone, Sennheiser, etc, etc. What would you guys recommend for me? I kind of want to keep it below $250, and prefferably stick in the 595's price range if possible.

Also, I am worried about a couple basic things and so I have these questions to ask.

Firstly, I don't wear iem's because they make me hear my breathing quite loudly and it annoys me. I imagine that closed headphones do this as well. However I am just wondering, do open headphones do this or not?

and number two, I have right now a pair of Yuin G2-A's in my iod touch 2g headphone out, and basically, I find that they are too bass heavy in some songs and block out the higher range of sounds which I always heard in my PK3's and OK3's, and I am just worried that the "Sennheiser Veil" might be similar to this and cause a problem. Therefore I am wondering if anyone can help me determine this through their own experience or something before I pull the plug. Thanks.

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 5
IME the HD595s DO benefit from an amp, especially if using the iPod line-out. Much punchier, dynamic presentation.

However, they're still quite laid-back phones and wouldn't really suit rock/metal/techno. And you probably wouldn't like the veiled sound, which does lift a little with a good source and amp but is still there.

I've not noticed my breathing when I've used open or closed phones, just with canal IEMS.

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 5
Alright, thanks, what would be recommended for rock/metal/techno, and common pop music? I am looking for something like a can sized yuin pk or ok series type headphone, and from what i have heard, the grados are probably too high in treble compared to yuins and the sennheisers are too veiled and high in lows. Though at this point if no one can recommend anything special, I'll probably just hope for a good deal on the sennheisers on or around black friday and hope for good resale if I don't like them.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 5
Take a look at SR225 or AD700. The AD900 should be real good, but a bit over $250, unless you buy used. I can vouch for the AD700, and I own an SR325is, so an SR225i should be to your liking, I guess. AD900 is said to have more upfront vocals and more and deeper bass than my AD700. Any of these 'phones should suit your preferences very nicely.

You might also want to consider a used DT880, probably the 250-ohm version. I imagine the 32-ohm version might be a bit too bright, but I can't say for sure.

Oh, and all of these are very comfortable. The Grado 'phones can be adjusted easily if they clamp too hard for you, and the AD700/900 float on your head. The DT880 does clamp a bit, but how comfortably will depend on you.

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 5
I was in similar position as you and purchased the HD-595's with a Total Airhead amp from Headroom and I am very happy!!! The HD-595's handle my rock and metal collection nicely, and the amp does indeed bring out the best in these cans. Particularly with bass, they are very neutral sounding and the amp really adds a bit of punch to my metal music... I often find my self kicking away at my computer desk to the double bass!!! Good luck with your purchase.
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back