Which frequencies in the spectrum "last longer" ? Explanations ?
Sep 15, 2011 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tbger99

Head-Fier
Conclusions I've come to from natural experience are:  This should be kind of a u-shaped graph, wherein the higher you go - the longer the frequency waves travel.  Not sure I can tell the same thing about lower frequencies (the lower you, go the longer ...) but I'm sure of the fact that lower frequency waves do last longer than mid ones.  They don't last as long as high frequency waves however.

Hence, for example, whale voice is heard from a very long distance (one of the longest I reckon).

If you have something to add on this, please do.  And if you can supply any scientific explanation and clarification of this - mostly welcome (intuitive and not complex please).

Thanks !

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 2
Sound actually attenuates by frequency in a linear relationship, with the high frequencies decaying faster than low frequencies.  Think of the sound of a television or radio on the other side of a wall, where the low frequencies are more audible.

the first term is attenuation coefficient (how quickly a particular medium weakens sound), second is distance traveled and third is the frequency of sound waves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back