Which foobar2k Resampler do you prefer?
Apr 24, 2008 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Please let me know if you've noticed a difference in SQ between the Resamplers listed. Or any other tips/ideas/observations/etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Secret Rabbit Code:
* Secret Rabbit Code Resampler for Foobar2000.

SSRC:
* Foobar2000:0.9 SSRC (foo dsp ssrc - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase)
* Translated version of http://otachan.com/foo_dsp_ssrc.html

PPHS:
* This one comes with Foobar2k since about version 0.8x I believe.

Here's some discussion about the different Foobar2000 Resamplers: Hydrogenaudio Forums > PPHS Resampler plugin

Thanks!
-DK

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None. Straight 44.1kHz sounds best to me. If I had a gun on me to use resampling, Secret Rabbit at synchronous 176.4 kHz is not bad.

What soundcard or source are you using?

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 18
I use SSRC to upsample to 96K for my Benchmark DAC1 USB sometimes, but really the difference between it and regular (44K) output is VERY small (blind test it for yourself to find out how small).

The Secret Rabbit resampler gets on my nerves after awhile, and I am convinced (without evidence to support it, mind you) that it is doing something other than just resampling (e.g. some data manipulation is being thrown in for some DSP effects). I recommend a long-term blind test if you are skeptical about its abilities: one 2-hour session with it and one 2-hour session without it (and let someone else turn it on and off so you aren't aware of which one you are listening to during the test).

PPHS is a less CPU-intensive version of SSRC that the author claims sounds just as good. I don't really care whether it sounds good or not...I am not starving for CPU cycles (even when resampling while playing a 3D game), so there is no point in using a less expensive version of SSRC on my systems, in my opinion.

If I weren't using a DAC that resamples on its own, I would not be using a resampler.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 18
I honestly can't tell the difference, so I just use PPHS, which is purported to be the most efficient.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 18
I've tried them all and.... I prefer 44.1K. What I have found is that if I connect via optical from my Laptop to my DAC and set my soundcard to output at 24/96 I get deeper bass (fuller sound) without any loss of detail or strange processing of the sound that resamplers do.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried them all and.... I prefer 44.1K. What I have found is that if I connect via optical from my Laptop to my DAC and set my soundcard to output at 24/96 I get deeper bass (fuller sound) without any loss of detail or strange processing of the sound that resamplers do.
biggrin.gif

Once my wallet allows, I will have a DAC!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 18
SSRC @ 192khz, but it's buggy in this mode and crashes when you try to play FLACs (I tried a number of different versions of foobar). I don't use it any more though, I only heard a difference in a few orchestral pieces.

May 1, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None. Straight 44.1kHz sounds best to me.

You know, it's funny. Some 'trebble harshness' was bothering me a few albums... namely
Opeth - Deliverance
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

I removed any Resampler from the DSP list, leaving only the Limiters active.

Treble harshness is gone. Go figure.
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 18
don't resample

May 1, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 18
What if I'm running my sound through a Pico (96kHz)? Am I supposed to use one of these resamplers and set them at 96kHz?

May 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, it's funny. Some 'trebble harshness' was bothering me a few albums... namely
Opeth - Deliverance
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

I removed any Resampler from the DSP list, leaving only the Limiters active.

Treble harshness is gone. Go figure.
rolleyes.gif

hey since i am an audio n00b.

can u tell me what do limiters exactly do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back