Which flange to remove for Tri-->Bi mod?
Mar 16, 2007 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pedalhead

Headphoneus Supremus
Just playing around with various tips on my E500s, & small Complys are currently my favourite. The tri-flange tips don't seem so bad though, and I'm thinking I'll mod them to bi-flange, but...which one do I snip off? I kinda presumed the smallest one, but then wouldn't that introduce more occlusion issues? Cheers.

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you snip the second one... wouldn't it make it a "single-flange"? I think it's the top one.

By that, do you mean the bigger one of the three?

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Oh wait, I see what you mean. See what I did was completely cut off the stem and the flange above the second one, since it was too long to fit in my canals.

Ah ok cheers. I presume that leaves you with enough stem to get a good seal? I agree though, in their stock form, they are far too long & make the earphones stick out miles!

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 22
from what i've read, you snip off the side closest to the inside of your head; therefore, the smaller one[size=xx-small]
[/size]

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i've read, you snip off the side closest to the inside of your head; therefore, the smaller one[size=xx-small]
[/size]

Hrm, I wish I had two pairs so I could try both methods & compare results. It's kind of a permanent mod
rolleyes.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Bi-flanges works great for me, although I still prefer the Shure black foamies -> complys -> yellow foam more than the bi-flanges.

Those black foamies look really similar to the comply tips. Are they similar in the flesh?

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 22
cut the top one, this is the one that sits farther inside the ear. After doing this with my e4's, i noticed that the stalk was too long also, so i cut the stalk and brought the insert closer to the IEM housing itself.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 22
I cut of the smallest one, then shorten the stem a few mm.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those black foamies look really similar to the comply tips. Are they similar in the flesh?

Black foamies are slightly larger, harder, and smoother. They feel less "natural" in my ears but it provides better isolation.

When you leave the stem on, does it touch your canals? It felt really uncomfortable for me, but that's just my anatomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back