Which first Grado should I get?
Aug 4, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #16 of 42
I have the sr80's I remember the first time I listened to them I was blown away. I've read posts talking about how the bass is better on the sr80's than the sr60's, I think you should compare them with sr60's and the rest of the grado line when you're there and see which you like more.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #17 of 42
You should get the SR-80i. I recently upgraded to SR-325is and they are definitely better SR-80i. But the SR-80i fitted bowls comes pretty close to the 325is with less detail and not as comfortable though. I kept my 325is and sold the 80i because I was able to get the 325is for $180 brand new.
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #19 of 42
Skip the 125s and the 80s. Go for some used 225s. You'll be able to get them for probably $125-150 and many will agree that they are the sweetspot of the grado lineup. As a bonus, buying used on the FS forums is almost as good as buying new.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know...
I went from the Grado SR80 to SR225 (originals) and think the SR225 had the best overall sound of the "low-end" Grados. The 325i's were almost a step back for me because, while detailed, they lacked something in the bass department.

Check this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...sr225i-437870/

He has some good impressions.

Hope this helps...
-HK sends

Ha hah, I heard that the review is pretty good, too xD Give it a read if you haven't; it might help you decide whether or not the 225's are worth it to you. If you buy the 80's first, you'll take a hit on retail when you try to sell them because you paid the "Grado Tax". My advice is that you listen to some low-end Grados at the store, and decide if whether or not you like the house sound. If you do, I would advise that you skip straight to the 225's. I find them to be far superior to my 80's, and you'll probably end up upgrading anyways.

Mark

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 42
The SR60i has improved bass and can't be compared as the SR60.

Just keep in mind that you're not upgrading as you move up their line. You're paying more for a different sound.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just keep in mind that you're not upgrading as you move up their line. You're paying more for a different sound.

I know that this is your opinion, but I would say that you most definitely upgrade. On top of that, you don't really get a different sound. The 225 sounds the same as the RS-1 to me, except less refined, less smooth, with grainy highs, worse bass, and less detail. The soundsigs are identical to my ears tho.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #23 of 42
Oh boy, I just ordered the Ultrasone HFI-780 for 130 € so that only leaves the SR60i or SR80i for me to buy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Either way, I'm still interested in their sound and an open headphone can always be useful.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #24 of 42
80. The 60 isn't nearly as good to my ears.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #25 of 42
A used pair of SR-60s here at Head-Fi (keep an eye out in the for sale/trade forum). Should probably be able to score a gently used pair for 60ish bucks.

If this is your first pair of "decent" headphones, prepare to have your mind blown. This will also likely be the best bang for your buck you will ever get in our sick/twisted (and expensive) little hobby. When a price/performance ratio is considered, it is VERY difficult to beat a pair of SR-60s, IMO.

If you absolutely fall in love with the Grado sound, then re-sell the SR-60s (will not be a problem at all as they hold their resale value fairly well), save up for and buy a used pair of RS-1s (again, here at Head-Fi) and be done with it!

Good luck.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #26 of 42
What's wrong with the MS1 as starter?

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #27 of 42
The ms1 are a great value, but they don't give you the coloration that grados are known for. They aren't a substitute at all in my opinion.

My vote is for the sr-80 as the best entry point into grado headphones.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the MS1 as starter?

They're just not the same thing. Grado-made, but they won't let you know whether or not you like the Grado sound. Plus, if he's concerned about getting a good deal in China, Alessandros really are neither here nor there.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #30 of 42
So it is decided.

I will test the 80i and if I like it I'll do a short comparison with the 60i and see how much the difference is worth to me.
Like I said, I already spent most of my budget.
tongue_smile.gif

Yes, yes, I too feel sorry about my wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back