Which first Grado should I get?
Aug 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
I want to get my first Grado headphones. I'm heading to China this month and they're incredibly cheap over there so i don't want to miss out on the chance!

Here are the prices for a store near my wife's home:
SR80i: 83 €
SR125i: 117 €
SR225i: 170 €
SR325i: 251 €
See what I mean?
atsmile.gif

Of course I'll be listening to some models before purchase but I don't want to spend all day in the store as we've got to prepare our Chinese wedding and stuff.

As you can see from my sig, my ears haven't been treated too strongly with audio luxury, yet I can easily make out each headphone's weakness and limit.
It'll be (probably only) for home use. My Technics stereo system with Marantz vinyl player is a little outdated but I hope to replace it in at least two years.
However, I am pretty sure that the SR325i would be overkill.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 42
Well, I wouldn't say incredibly cheap. The USA is still cheaper. I would say start off with the SR80, that way you can decide if you like their sound or not, and then upgrade later.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 42
From my experience, I went for the 225's and at first I was underwhelmed (bass wise) but with 'burn in' they got me hooked on the Grado sound which is punchy and in your face. If you don't mind on buying used check out the FS forum as these cans pop up regularly and I would opt for the older version since the i series have a new cable which adds some weight and is a bit cumbersome. The pad issue was never a problem for me as I washed them to soften them up. I did try some flat pads but found myself using the bowls and again its all preference. Hope the Grado sound is for you because they are forward in sound and has a smaller soundstage but puts you up close and intimate to the music. Good luck.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 42
I don't know...
I went from the Grado SR80 to SR225 (originals) and think the SR225 had the best overall sound of the "low-end" Grados. The 325i's were almost a step back for me because, while detailed, they lacked something in the bass department.

Check this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...sr225i-437870/

He has some good impressions.

Hope this helps...
-HK sends

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 42
I've been around the block with all the Grados except for the high-end ones (past RS-1) and the SR125. For me, the SR225 is the best bang-for-buck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 42
See, my thing is he didn't say best bang-for-buck, he said best first grado, and IMHO you shouldn't spend too much before deciding you like the sound sig.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, my thing is he didn't say best bang-for-buck, he said best first grado, and IMHO you shouldn't spend too much before deciding you like the sound sig.

If I recall correctly, my Grado buying history went like this (yes, in this crazy order):

SR80
RS-2
RS-1/SR60
SR225

The RS-1 and SR60...I forgot which one came first.

And to me, the SR60 sounded like thin radio speakers compared to the Koss KSC75.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 42
I'd caution you against buying a name brand item, like Grado, in China, which is a hotbed for knockoffs. Shop this board or U.S. retailer sites; you can get a very good deal on B stock or open box Grados. I bought 80i B stock from Head-Fi a few months ago for $75 and I just walked off with an open box 325i $180 with no tax and free shipping. I think you would like the 80i. I found the new pads extremely comfortable and the performance was much more to my liking than my first SR80s.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 42
You should get the SR60.

I have the SR60 and the 325i. The SR60 is most of what the 325i is, so it's reasonable to assume if you like it, you'll like the higher end Grados too.

I would have to disagree about the radio speaker comment. The ksc75 are good bang for buck but not nearly as detailed and revealing as the SR60.

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I wouldn't say incredibly cheap. The USA is still cheaper.

Prices in Germany:
SR80: 115 € (China -28%)
SR125: 240 € (China -51,25%)
SR225: 298 € (China -43%)
SR325: 389 € (China -37%)
(Couldn't find the "i" improved models here...)
I hate the Euro!

I think the SR80i wouldn't be enough of an improvement to use for couple of years. I haven't put the SR60i on the list on purpose for the same reason.

Of course I won't buy a Grado if I don't like the sound in the store.
Can anyone compare the Grado sound to the Zino, which is my only open headphone?

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 42
Why don't you listen to them over there? Just a thought
wink.gif
The prices are right for us Europeans (if you don't declare them when returning to Germany...)

I say you listen to them and if you like the Grado sound, buy the best you want to afford. The SR325is is a beauty with great sound and nicely built but many here feel the SR225i offers more bang/buck.

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prices in Germany:
SR80: 115 € (China -28%)
SR125: 240 € (China -51,25%)
SR225: 298 € (China -43%)
SR325: 389 € (China -37%)
(Couldn't find the "i" improved models here...)
I hate the Euro!

I think the SR80i wouldn't be enough of an improvement to use for couple of years. I haven't put the SR60i on the list on purpose for the same reason.

Of course I won't buy a Grado if I don't like the sound in the store.
Can anyone compare the Grado sound to the Zino, which is my only open headphone?

They sell the sr225 NEW IN SEALED BOX, in germany for 298€?

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody has recommended the SR125i yet. Makes me wonder.

For some reason, they're not very popular. As far as I can tell, they're so close to the commonly-identified sweet spot in the Grado lineup, the sr225i, and you get comfies instead of bowls (which are another $20 and superior) that people don't really think about the 125i. If you're wanting something cheap to try out the sound, the 125 probably isn't that much a set up from the 80, which has better bass (FWIR) than the 60. However, the 225 isn't that much more than the 125, and it comes with bowl pads (again, better sound-wise) and a metal grill that increases airflow (important for open 'phones).

What might be an even better deal than China would be the FS forum...particularly, right now I've seen a lot of non-"i" SR225s going for ~$150 (less if you're lucky). And, of course, unlike distributors, US Head-Fi'ers can export.
wink.gif

Quote:

Which of the Grado models has the most prominent bass?

Grados aren't really known for bass. There's a mod involving putting a piece of tape around bowl pads, but I've heard mixed feedback on that. Supposedly, using flats (that only TTVJ carries) improves bass. Also, the SR80 is noted to have better bass than the SR60, and the SR325is is supposed to be really treble-y. But I wouldn't count on any Grados being bass monsters.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 42
I've heard that Grado is all about treble and that's why I thought it would fit well into my diverse collection.
wink.gif

I reckon the bass of the SR80i would provide the easiest "getting into Grado" so I will test those first. If I like 'em, I'll buy them. Maybe I can exchange them for the SR225i as long as I'm there (4 weeks).

Thank you very much, to all of you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back