Which Fiio device will work best with playstion 3? (I have sennheiser's hd 598)
Feb 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rocha026

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased some sennheisers hd598 and would like to know which fiio amp would sound best connected to ps3? I am leaning towards a portable amp, because I don't want to have turn my computer on everytime I want to use my headphones with my ps3. (Note: I will be getting a high quality sound card like asus stx later, but for now I just want something that will not require my computer to be on for the device to work). I will be using my headphones for gaming and movies on my ps3, but I will also be listening to music with my iPhone. I am open to suggestions on aternatives, it doesn't necessarily have to be a portable amp, I just want a device or devices that will bring the most out of my headphones while connected to ps3/iPhone. Budget is between $20-$100, preferably on the low side of that. I am looking for the best "bang for your buck," but if spending a little more money on a device means I will get a significant difference in sound quality, I will be willing to spend it. Any suggestions to alternative options are welcomed as well, thank you

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, the cheapest option will be an optical cable to either fiio D3 or the new D07. They have line-out but I have no idea if you'll need to add an amp to get enough power for your headphones. Anyway, you can get the cheap fiio E6/06 to get extra power and you should keep the expenses well under 100 bucks

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for responding! My sennheiser's hd598s are rated at 50ohm, I've been looking at past forums and most people are saying I shouldn't need an amp, but the sound would improve if I did get one. I've been researching the products you've mentioned and I'm leaning towards the fiio e17, but they cost $130. I was thinking about just paying a little more money to get the asus xonar stx, which is going for $180 on Amazon. But one of the major drawbacks is having to turn on my computer and have it running every time I want to listen to my headphones. How does the fiio e17 compare to the asus xonar stx? Will I really notice that big of a difference in sound quality or would the fiio e17 be more than enough to get the best from my headphones?     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back