Which ety should I get?
Dec 10, 2001 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nleahcim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I want to purchase my new Etymotics earplugs tomorrow morning, but I still can't decided which to get! I am stuck between the ER4P's and the ER6's. I will be using them mostly with my portable MP3/WMA/ASF/CD player (an SP250), but also with multiple computers, my stereo system, and a TV. Isolation is very, very important to me, but money also plays an important role. So, should I splurge and get the ER4P's or should I go for the more economical ER6's? Thanks for any input!

Michael

Dec 10, 2001 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 19
If you can swing it, Michael, I would go for the ER4P. Although I haven't heard the 6s yet, I would assume (dangerous to do with this stuff), based on comments by Don Wilson of Etymotics, that the $117 Etys don't provide the same level of sound quality as the $269 ER 4P. Also, I believe the Isolation on the 4P is greater as well. And finally, and this is a big plus..........the ER-4P can be converted to a 4S with a cable. I've been listening to the 4Ps straight out of a portable Sony MD player and a Nomad II mp3 player this weekend and I can tell you that the sound is wonderful. Just a notch below the 4S.......a little grainier sounding and not as airy, but the bass is a bit more prominent. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm having/had the same problem. I think I will go ahead and get the 4Ps. The 6s have a cord that is quite short and they have less isolation than the 4Ps, and the sound isn't supposed to be quite as good, so I am going to order the 4Ps. Furthremore, very little information is available about the 6s. Isolation is extremely important to me, and rather than spend $117 and potentially want an upgrade later, I think I will just bite the bullet and spend the $270 now. Since I will be ordering them from Headroom, I can always return them within 30 days if I cannot get a good fit or they just aren't worth the money.

You might check out my thread, which is similar.

Dec 10, 2001 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by nleahcim
Hi, I want to purchase my new Etymotics earplugs tomorrow morning, but I still can't decided which to get! I am stuck between the ER4P's and the ER6's. I will be using them mostly with my portable MP3/WMA/ASF/CD player (an SP250), but also with multiple computers, my stereo system, and a TV. Isolation is very, very important to me, but money also plays an important role. So, should I splurge and get the ER4P's or should I go for the more economical ER6's? Thanks for any input!

Michael

Hi Michael!

I think your sources are the key here - you are not going for highest quality, but highest versatility. Etys *might* be troublesome here - they are tremendously revealing, and I am sure you won't be very happy when listening to badly encoded MP3s or WMAs.

OTOH, the isolation might be welcome.

I'd definitely recommend you to wait for the first ER6 reviews. They are poised to be superb, and at a better price point than the 4s. If they are less revealing, I am sure that would be an asset for you.

Dec 10, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 19
Good luck on your purchase!

I have had the same dilemma and haven't purchased a pair of Ety's yet! Now I have to consider the 6's!

Actually, I think I am going to get the 4S's. I have a JMT amp and a nice pcdp, and as this is a "major" purchase for me, (ie: when the wife finds out she'll take away my credit card), I will splurge for what I gather from the chatter here is the slightly better sounding of the three.

Dec 10, 2001 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 19
Hmmmmmm... Now I'm getting worried... I have no plans to use an amp... So, by revealing, what exactly do you mean? My SP-250 sounds really good with my Sennheiser HD-200's (well, besides the problems that are the headphones' fault, such as waaaaaayyyy too much bass). So, should I not get any etys? Arrrgghhhh. I thought I had limited my choices down to only two different pairs of headphones.

Dec 10, 2001 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 19
I often use my Ety 4Ps with an MP3 player, and although it is true that you can hear artefacts and imperfections (especially background noise) that are inaudible with less revealing headphones, I find the superior sound quality and resolution overall far outweighs such irritations.

YMMV.

Dec 14, 2001 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 19
viciouscarrot - I ordered from Headroom, but it's an expensive business. On top of Headroom's FedEx shipping charge you also get a bill from Customs & Excise of 20% of the total value (3% duty and 17.5% VAT) that FedEx send to you. FedEx also charge a £4.50 'admin' fee for paying the Customs & Excise bill on your behalf (I'm refusing to pay this bit).

Dec 14, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 19
I bought my Ety 4P's from Headroom no problems and I live in Grimsby (if the world had piles - that's where they'd be!).

They are the absolute best - I even went as far as getting custom earmoulds for them (from my local ear dude down the road) and it all works well.

I'm using my Ety's with the following:

Sony D-915 - CD Walkman
Sony MD-R900 - MD Walkman
Panasonic 570 - CD Walkman
Iriver2 - MP3/CD Walkman

No problems with any of them - the 4P does tend to show up some line noise on the Iriver2 but if I use my 4S adaptor cable and Airhead amp this well and truly goes away and it sounds sublime.

I hope this helps.

Dec 14, 2001 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Hi all. I just got the ER6 a few days ago, and personally, I think the isolation and sound are quite good (once you learn the trick of getting a good seal) I haven't tried the ER4 models, so I wanted to hear from people that have both and have used both. Is the difference that significant? I was thinking of getting a pair of 4Ps too
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 19
Well, hongman, I have the ER6 and the ER4s. I had the 4Ps until my dog did them in. The sound of all three is typical Ety sound. A person with an untrained ear might be hard put to differentiate between the 3. To my ears, the 4 series has a more refined, airier sound quality with very deep bass. Of the two, most people would agree that the 4S provides a more accurate sound. The 4Ps, being much more efficient, are very revealing of sources (hiss, etc.), with just a tad grainier sound quality. If you go for the 4S, I would get the 4P and the cable to transform them into $s when the need or desire arises.
As for the 6s, I've been listening to them as my main 'phone since I got them Wednesday. They are VERY close to the 4 sound. Not as refined in the top end, and a bit more forward presentation. I think fjhuerta characterized them as "Etys for Grado lovers." That pretty much nails it for me. The bass seems more prominent than the 4S, and is about the same as the 4P, to my ears, but it doesn't seem to go as deep. Still sounds great though.
My only complaint with the 6s is that it is not as easy for me to get a good seal. The shorter silicon tip makes it difficult to grab hold of the plastic transducer housing when inserting them. It can take me awhile to get a seal, whereas the 4s, for me anyway, are plug iand go. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back