Which ETY for running and other uses?
Mar 20, 2004 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

norwegiansnowman

New Head-Fier
Yet another ety thread.
redface.gif

I am considering buying a pair of etys for running. I mostly run offtrack (trail) early in the morning, so there are no cars and few cyclists to look out for.

I am a newbie to the music world, got an iPod for christmas and bought the sont-v6s a month ago. I listen to a lot of different music; rock, jazz, classical, some pop and seldom some rap. I do fear (or look forward to
biggrin.gif
) that I will become a jazz fan in some time. My source will mainly be the iPod. I am only a teenager so unless I continue to hang around inthis forum, I probably won't buy a decent home rig in the next couple of years. I do although do some listening from the family's rig, which I think is a sort of best-bang-for-the-buck NAD stuff.

I said that I wanted headphones for running. If I purchase the 4P/S, it may become may main headphone for the next years (if it fits my ears).

I am looking at two packages form Headroom:

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0000000032
and
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0000000027

The price difference is pretty big, and I am not even sure if I will be allowed to buy anything as expensive as the 4P/S with TAH package, even if it is my own money I use.

Pros and cons:

ER6:
+ cheaper, I won't have to be sent to a psychiatrist if they break
+ Less microphonic effect due to thinner cable.
+ I get to hear the "ety sound"
- May the cable break easier?

ER4P/S
+ Sound quality, guess they will make my v6 obsolete.
+ Build quality most probably is better.
- I don't know what I will do if they break.
- Oh, so expensive.
frown.gif

- Microphonic effect

How big is the problem with the microphonic effect while running?

Puh, I have tried to write a bit this time compared to my another newbie-who-don't-use-the-search-function-and-don't-give-enough-information-in-his-first-post-posts (another puh.)
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 16
Well, if you are working out and jogging you really want to carry as little as possable. I would consider just geting som ety 4p. The ipod amp is pretty good much better than most portiables so it will drive the phones. I had a ipod and 4s and never had a problem. I had a amp also and it did open them up a bit but I'm not sure I would really hear the difference if jogging with them. They are pretty good out of box.

I would also consider looking at some shure e3 the way the cord runs it reduces the noise you hear when the cord is rubbed which happens all the time when working out.

If going the ety route I would get the e4p over the e6 though and not look back.

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by norwegiansnowman
How big is the problem with the microphonic effect while running?

hi, i'm sorry to crash the party, but all etys are certainly NOT capable for use whiel you're running.

the microphonics would render almost all music unlistenable unless you find a way to sew the etys into the lining of your running outfit.

my 4p uses the newer snag-prone braided cord design in an effort to reduce microphonics. certainly a no-no if you want to run trails where there are branches that might snag something.

if my experience with running with the shure e2 is anything to go by - get an e3. negligible microphonics there and sturdy construction.

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 16
I would recommend the shure line of product for running. They seem to be less microphonic and they do not go in the ear as deep as the etymotic ones. They do not sound as good the etymotic phones, but you get other things such as comfort and ease of use. As in the case of the E2, it is built very well and seems to be able to take some abuse. The cord is thick!

You want to be safe in case you fall or something and not pierce your eardrum. The shures do not go in your ear that deep.

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by DJGeorgeT
I would recommend the shure line of product for running. They seem to be less microphonic and they do not go in the ear as deep as the etymotic ones. They do not sound as good the etymotic phones, but you get other things such as comfort and ease of use. You want to be safe in case you fall or something and not pierce your eardrum. The shures do not go in your ear that deep.

i wouldnt say that they (any shure model above the e2) sound inferior to the 4p - they have a different sort of sound. having listened to both, i agree with the general consensus here that shures are nice and fun phones, being warm and bassy with a sweet though slightly recessed midrange and attenuated highs while etys are detail kings.

both have their (rabid) supporters - different strokes for different folks, in other words.

a post like that would just be lindrone-bait.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 16
The only one that sounds decent is the E5 and it MUST ($$$$$$$).

I am wise, so I use the E2 for workout and running because they are nicely built and if they get damaged I won't miss them, so shure is not all that bad....etys just kicks shure in the butt.

Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc
i wouldnt say that they (any shure model above the e2) sound inferior to the 4p - they have a different sort of sound. having listened to both, i agree with the general consensus here that shures are nice and fun phones, being warm and bassy with a sweet though slightly recessed midrange and attenuated highs while etys are detail kings.

both have their (rabid) supporters - different strokes for different folks, in other words.

a post like that would just be lindrone-bait.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 16
I would not recommend the ETY or any canal phone for running. These phones isolate a lot of noise, especially the ETY E4x series, it can be dangerous not knowing things around you.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
I would not recommend the ETY or any canal phone for running. These phones isolate a lot of noise, especially the ETY E4x series, it can be dangerous not knowing things around you.

As I said, I do mostly trail running (offtrack), so there are no cars and few bicycles to watch out for. I have a pair of portapros that I can use when hearing is important.

The answers make it even more difficult to make a decision.
confused.gif
Think I will wait some days until a few more people have given their opinion and you have divided yourself into tw
o blocks that can't agree.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 16
Might as well post some links to other threads here:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=66008

(may evolve into a shure vs. etymotics thread)

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...c&pagenumber=1

(very informative review, shows the pros and cons with each phone. But nothing about running.
rolleyes.gif
)

It seems like the smartest thing would be to get the E2s because of them being sturdier and therefore better for running. They are cheap too!
biggrin.gif

A review ( http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_mo...d=1060_0_6_0_M ) at ipodlounge says that the sony ex-70 is almost as good as the E2s. My mother has these and wants to trade them for my portapros because the isolation is dangerous when bicycling. If the review at Ipodlounge is true, i maight as well stick to these.
cool.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 16
where isolation is not wanted, try the KSC-35...best sound/$$$ or its second best KSC-50 - even cheaper and funkier.

www.koss.com

I use my Shure E2 when I go to sleep, do the yard, excercise, DJ or when my ears don't want to listen to detail and just want to relax.

Mar 21, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by DJGeorgeT
where isolation is not wanted, try the KSC-35...best sound/$$$ or its second best KSC-50 - even cheaper and funkier.

www.koss.com

I use my Shure E2 when I go to sleep, do the yard, excercise, DJ or when my ears don't want to listen to detail and just want to relax.

seconded
even if you snag or break them you won't mind it as much because they are about $25-30 a pop
so yeah and they are sturdily built

Mar 21, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 16
I must admit that as much as I enjoy the sound of my ety's, I think microphonics really is an issue. I have the latest generation with the braided cable and even though that has helped, I can hear my footsteps pounding on the pavement, my breathing, my heart beating, etc. I use the shirt clip which also helps but if you are wearing an outer garment with a zipper the ety cable often rubs against the zipper and well, forget it. You can hear it. It's certainly not a problem when you are stationary, or even at the gym if you're on a machine, but I think running/walking/ jogging is asking alot. I use sony v6's if I'm spending a long time in motion. They're fairly isolated, easy to drive and they fold up nicely.

Mar 21, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 16
Etys: "thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk" is all you'll hear with them while running. How about phones in the style of the MDR-A10? Far more usable for sports in my view. I think anything suspended off your ear is a bad idea for sports socannot recommend earclips either unless they're featherlight like the KSC-35... but even then I think you could do better: I feel that the MDR-A10 style of headband and a earphone that kind of rests/wedges in your ear is the best phone for running.

mdra10.jpg

The Etys do indeed kick the (less than half price) E2's in the butt for sound quality. However the slightly cheaper E3c are a different matter, are more usable for an active lifestyle, although running is still not good, and are (to me) more entertaining while having broadly speaking the same capability. I'm writing some articles, listening casually and just switched over from another combination to the D-E555 and the Etys. That combination lasted one minute in my ear... the E3c replaced the Etys faster than you can say "the proof is in the listening".

Mar 21, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman

The Etys do indeed kick the (less than half price) E2's in the butt for sound quality.

I have decided my E2's are valuable when it comes to recorded material that is waaaaaay too bright. For such, all my collection with the exception of the E2 takes a back seat. I do not like the E3. I have tried it, but for the money, anyone should consider going a bit higher and getting the ER4 - which is by far the best canalphone currently available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back