Which earphones to choose?
Oct 17, 2014 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Erwa94

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am searching for budget in-ears. I have been reading for some weeks and now I have to decide between a few. My budget is around $20- $30. I like the sound to be a bit bassy but not overwhelming and also have relatively good mids and highs. I listen to very different genres of music, including rap, hardrock, dance and pop. I will be using them at school, in the car and at home.
Which should I choose?

1.JVC HA-FX101
2.Philips SHE 3590
3.Philips SHE 9000
4. JVC HA-FX40
5. Moxpad X3

If you have any suggestions for better earphones, please submit them!

-Erwa

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 19
  Hi, I am searching for budget in-ears. I have been reading for some weeks and now I have to decide between a few. My budget is around $20- $30. I like the sound to be a bit bassy but not overwhelming and also have relatively good mids and highs. I listen to very different genres of music, including rap, hardrock, dance and pop. I will be using them at school, in the car and at home.
Which should I choose?

1.JVC HA-FX101
2.Philips SHE 3590
3.Philips SHE 9000
4. JVC HA-FX40
5. Moxpad X3

If you have any suggestions for better earphones, please submit them!

-Erwa

I'm no expert, but when I was searching for an upgrade to my old pair of earbuds, a lot of users recommended the Xiaomi Piston 2 IEM's to me. They've got really great reviews and cost around 25 bucks. http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for your reply! I know about the Pistons, but I think it's difficult to find real ones. I have seen so many people on the internet who got fakes. And I need my earphones fast, so I think I don't have enough time to order the Pistons. Do you have any experience with the earphones I listed?

-Erwa

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 19
  Thanks for your reply! I know about the Pistons, but I think it's difficult to find real ones. I have seen so many people on the internet who got fakes. And I need my earphones fast, so I think I don't have enough time to order the Pistons. Do you have any experience with the earphones I listed?

-Erwa

I do have experience with the JVC HA-FX101. They have great, punchy bass and are definitely an option if you prefer a pair of IEM's that emphasize that. If you absolutely hate microphonics, I also found that these JVC's had virtually none. They're also relatively cheap and I've seen them in most electronics stores. ljokerl wrote a great review on them, if you'd like to check them out.
 http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/jvc-ha-fx101/

I've also read a couple of positive reviews on the Sony SHE 3590, but haven't had the chance to try them out myself.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks, I think I will buy either the JVC HA-FX101 or the Philips SHE 3590, they seem to have the most positive reviews. The only thing I am worried about is the build quality of both..
-Erwa

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 19
  Thanks, I think I will buy either the JVC HA-FX101 or the Philips SHE 3590, they seem to have the most positive reviews. The only thing I am worried about is the build quality of both..
-Erwa

The build quality of the JVC HA-FX101 did feel a bit underwhelming, but the cable felt pretty solid, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. They're also cheap enough ($15-20) that if you ever had to replace them, you wouldn't have to spend a fortune doing so. Hope you like 'em if you do decide to pick them up! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 19
So I decided to pick the JVC HA-FX 101.. They will be delivered today.. And indeed they are cheap enough to replace easily. Maybe I will buy the Philips earphones later.
-Erwa

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 19
  Will try to check that ones out too, but i'm a poor student, so not too much at once.
-Erwa

I'm just going to be honest with you, there's not many earphones with good mids and highs for $30. Your best bet is probably the Xiaomi Piston 2, but it's still a very bassy & somewhat sloppy headphone. The IEMs that people have been suggesting do fare better, but they are in the $50 range. You're going have to reach deeper into your pockets for them. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 19
  I'm just going to be honest with you, there's not many earphones with good mids and highs for $30. Your best bet is probably the Xiaomi Piston 2, but it's still a very bassy & somewhat sloppy headphone. The IEMs that people have been suggesting do fare better, but they are in the $50 range. You're going have to reach deeper into your pockets for them. 

I do agree with the fact that there are definitely better headphones in the $50 range, but if anything, I feel like the Pistons are far from sloppy... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 19

I know about that, but since I am relatively new to the audio world, I think it is better for me to start with some cheaper earphones to fully enjoy the sound of more expensive earphones I might buy later.
-Erwa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back