Which earphones should I buy?
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 23
It is a step back, but they are comfortable to wear lay on one side, not sibilance, most of the headphones our friend had were bassy and he didn't like the Xba-3 signature. Vsonic doesn't even have a decent website...

The Shures are comfortable and isolate very well when using with the olive tips. Having said that though the GR04 & GR07 are just as comfortable and can be worn while sleeping. And what does Vsonic's ( a Chinese company) website have to do with what will suit the O.P.'s need in an iem?

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
The Shures are comfortable and isolate very well when using with the olive tips. Having said that though the GR04 & GR07 are just as comfortable and can be worn while sleeping. And what does Vsonic's ( a Chinese company) website have to do with what will suit the O.P.'s need in an iem?

Nothing actually. I just like to point it out. 
size]
 don't mind me

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 23
RE262 is one of my favorite price/performance IEMs, that is quite forgiving of sibilance. Perhaps give that a go? Price floats around $120, but these earphones will need an amp. (Without an amp) it sounds great, but the amp makes it amazing.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 23
Firstly, yeah, vsonic not having a website doesn't bother me in the least.

squallkiercosa - Only my creative EP630 and Skullcandy Ink'd would be what I'd call bassy, and that's what I don't really like about them. I liked the PL30, and those have a rather recessed bass (though I did prefer the slightly bassier E30). But you wouldn't be wrong to say that I don't want completely neutral iems.

If any of you have heard the Soundmagic E30, I'm pretty much looking for the same sound signature. I'd buy the E30 again, but their build quality wasn't that good.

I should make it clear on this thread for other readers that if it weren't for my unusual listening needs (lying down on my side), I wouldn't find the XBA3's uncomfortable at all. I guess I shouldn't de-promote the product for other readers. 

The GR07 seems to be out of my range, more so now because I've realized the my XBA3's won't be sold for as much I want to sell them at.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #20 of 23
I had an etymotic hf5, now its... RIP... I found the soundstage to be lacking and I feel like it can give you fatigue. I also have the ultimate ears trfi10, I don't like the fit at all. Just pointing out things the op may not like because those 2 iems had been mentioned.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 23
Thank you to all those who responded to me in this thread.

So, I've decided to hold on to my XBA3s for starters. I don't see any reason to sell them, and I've kinda developed a liking for their sound. I still find them uncomfortable and their microphonics annoying, but bleh, I'm keeping them. 

A few subway shifts later, I'll purchase another pair of Soundmagic E30. Or maybe I'll try some cans. I'll deal with that bridge when I get to it.

The fact that I am keeping my XBA3s may imply that this whole thread was redundant, but as a first Head-Fi experience for me, it was great. Thanks.

Now back to the issue at hand - Should I go for an amp/other tips, if so, which? 
Now I know that this question now doesn't belong in this place, it should be posted under audio sources or something else. Should I create a new thread? I'm not exactly looking for deep discussions, just basic recommendations. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #22 of 23
Stock Sony hybrids are fine. But if you find the highs too much, use the foam infused stock hybrids, they should cut it down a bit. They really don't need amping, they have a really low impedance and high sensitivity, so amping won't help out so much.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #23 of 23
Yes. I'm posting this 10 days late.
Anyways. I just tried the large size sony hybrid tips with foam. And they completely changed these earphones for me. They're still not comfortable in bed, they still have microphonics issues, they still have sibilance issues, but the sound improved tenfold (for the lack of a better word). The insertion is quite shallow with large size tips. The soundstage seems much larger, the 'placement' seems very 3d. Bass increased a bit, but I can reduce it using the equalizer. Most importantly, they don't sound as 'thin' anymore. The non-foam large tips seem to do something similar, but I prefer the foam ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back