Which earphones for MD???
Mar 12, 2002 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

becomethemould

500+ Head-Fier
hi there, i definately require earphones for my md, as the MD is not getting much use. this is because i find my portable cans, the V6 to be too bulky and i look like a fool
smily_headphones1.gif
i've had the mx500s though, they are way too uncomfortable.

i'm looking at the sony ex70s, but are there any other decent alternatives? how much isolation does the 888s have? as bad as a grado sr60?

thanks guys, btw where is a cheap price to buy some earphones from? my dad and grandma is in hawaii now, so i could get them from america, or is asia generally cheaper?

thanks again

Mar 12, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
this is because i find my portable cans, the V6 to be too bulky and i look like a fool
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey i use the 7506's often
redface.gif
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 30
Dude, dont worry about wearing big headphones.... it IS in style... hell, I saw someone with headphones as big as the UR-20's in the hall just today! And these are teenagers, homies, whatever. People don't care if you are wearing headphones--even big flashy silver Sony one's, or streetstyles in eight gazillion colors; those are actually taken pretty well...just don't bring your 580's to school, alright? The 7506's will do fine, sizewise....

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Dude, dont worry about wearing big headphones.... it IS in style... hell, I saw someone with headphones as big as the UR-20's in the hall just today! And these are teenagers, homies, whatever. People don't care if you are wearing headphones--even big flashy silver Sony one's, or streetstyles in eight gazillion colors; those are actually taken pretty well...just don't bring your 580's to school, alright? The 7506's will do fine, sizewise....

Hehe. I saw someone wearing an AudioTechnica ATH-W2002 while waiting at the busstop. I think that beats out "bringing your 580s to school".

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
You ******** me..... right? the 2002? you sure it wasn't another wooden one from them?

It was a W2002. That was the reason I noticed them in the first place. I said hey thats a W2002. WOw hes wearing them to communute? Holy cow.

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 30
Didn't someone say some good things about the Sony Eggos (D66s) a short while back? Anyway, they're supposed to be smaller than your average headphones, and they were said to sound good too.

Here's a pic:
sonymdrd66sl-c.jpg

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 30
Except the EX70's. Their sound isn't as detailed as the MDR-E888's, though. Both buds are very comfortable. If the "bigger is better" philosphy is really in, then I might recommend a smaller set of over-the-head cans - the MDR-D22SL's. They sound excellent and work well with MiniDisc.

Mar 12, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 30
haha, i guess it is the style now (big headphones) though the cord of the 7506 is way way long, and i dont really like to place em around my neck when they're not on (they clamp against my neck unless i fold out the caps). none of my friends are fond of headphones, so i wanna look as discrete as possible
biggrin.gif
and i dont really wanna put myself forward as trying to be hip, as i ain't
wink.gif

btw, an uncle was trying to sell me those eggo phones, though i already had 2 pairs hehe

hmm i might experiment by wearing the 7506s more often. btw, do u guys have your md in your pant pocket, and have the remote clipped on to the belt of the pocket? or something like that? normally i just have my md in the smaller compartment of my backpack and let the cord hang around the back of me...

Mar 12, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #11 of 30
After using my MZ-R70 in such a way that it lived in my shirt pocket, I discovered a LOT of dust under the LCD; I realized that this was not the place to keep an MD unit, so I started using the remote more often.

Depending on the season, I simply tuck the MD recorder (R909 or R70, and, soon an E707 player) in one of the jacket pockets and attach the remote to the cover of the pocket. I put the cord of the headphone between the button fasteners, as it stays put, very nicely, then snug the cord by gently pulling until it is taut. I'm ready!

In the winter, I use this arrangement, and, actually, use my Sony D-EJ925 PCDP moreso than MD gear. In the warmer months, I use one of those Lowepro "Porta Pocket" slings around my waist, and tuck the MD unit in there. I have a choice of attaching the remote to my belt or my shirt pocket.

I, agree, that a REALLY long cord (10 feet) is something I wouldn't want to be saddled with for portable use. I'm glad that it's "cool" to walk around with big cans, and maybe I'll take my Eggos out for a walk, this way. I'd been using them, mostly, in m office. Old dogs can learn new tricks, eh?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 30
I use my DT250's on the train.. I don't really care whether people think it's hip or not... Perhaps I should??
smily_headphones1.gif

My ej925 fits nicely in my jacket.. But I don't really dig having to carry a long coiled cord in my pocket.

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
i'm looking at the sony ex70s, but are there any other decent alternatives? how much isolation does the 888s have? as bad as a grado sr60?

It much depends on 1) the type of music you listen to, and 2) whether or not mobility is important to you; hence you may need isolation from street traffic and so on and so forth....

I happen to own all the three models you named above - I bought an EX70 just yesterday.

My advice: go for the EX70. The E888's are great earbuds... but in a fairly quiet environment. They are too revealing, and are therefore weak on heavy rock and dance music; they would also expose bad recordings.

Mar 12, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 30
i have an mxr70 md and use sony v6, e888, and at bedtime ex70 with them. by far i use the etymotic er6 the most with it, though, alternating with the e888 when my coworkers quiet down. the ex70 i've discovered works very well at low levels. i may be ordering the d66 soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back